1911Forum banner

newbie question on lubrication

1347 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  CH
I just finished shooting my new springfield mil-spec for the first time. After I cleaned it up I started lubing and realized I didn't really know what the most important places to lube were. I tried to lube everywhere metal might touch metal, which seems like a lot of places on a 1911.

1. What are the most important places to lube on a 1911?

2. Is there a product that lubes the entire gun quickly, or is it better to put a little oil on a gun patch and individually lube each spot (which is my normal practice)?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
I detail strip and lube my Colt with Rig every once in awhile, but I still get paranoid about grit collecting and forming in the internals. Is there an aerosal product on the market that you could just aim down a cocked hammer and blast the internals clean without a detail strip? I don't like to detail strip because it adds to the takedown marks.

· Registered
168 Posts
Well, the frame behind the side stop always gets scratched when the slide stop is put back in, unless there is some way to keep the plunger depressed while the slide stop is being put back in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.