1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago while talking to a couple of gents at the range I noticed one of them had an IDPA hat on so I asked him a little about it and now I'm pretty convinced I'd like to give it a try.The next match is in a couple of weeks and I was just wondering if you've never shot any type of competition before do most these local clubs try to help out the new guy or are you on your own? Are the shooters told at the beginning of the stage like how many rounds are required on each target? I know this sounds like dumb questions and while I do not expect to go at there and do great the first time out I would feel more confident about it if I just knew I wasn't going to go out there and make a complete a"" out of myself.I'm just assuming since matches vary in requirements that the r.o.'s give you some kinda run down on what's required of each stage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
At all the matches I go to, they usually have a special shooters meeting before the match just for new shooters. The Range officers go over all the various safety rules and will answer any questions you have.

Then at each stage, the range officers will describe the scenario -- "engage the four targets from the right side of the barricade with two shots each, then reload and engage the four targets to the left of the barricade with two shots each" -- for example. If you have any questions, they will answer them, and if you remind them that you are a new shooter, they'll probably give you some additional help as well.

These matches are great fun. It took me a little courage to go to my first one, and I was a little nervous. I remember standing there at the first stage saying "please don't let me screw up or make a fool of myself". So, I just took my time and went slow and made sure I was following the safety rules. I had a blast! I know you will too. You'll have a hard time waiting for the next match!

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
22,122 Posts
When you arrive, say you are new to the sport and you will likely be given a general range safety briefing. Most IDPA matches are run on a cold range. You may not handle or load your gun until on the line and told to "Load and Make Ready." There will be a safety area set aside where you uncase and holster your empty gun.

Each stage will be described to the squad in some detail, maybe even diagrammed. You will have the chance to ask questions and to watch somebody else shoot unless they are running a surprise event - not too common.

Go to www.idpa.com and look over the site. You can read the rule book and look at some typical courses of fire (CoF).

You should be able to load, safe, and holster your gun. Then draw from concealment, shoot the CoF with use of cover, movement, and reloading as specified. Then clear your gun on command (read and learn the commands) and go look as the S.O. scores your targets. Pick up brass and paste targets to help out as convenient, but your first priority is to keep your eyes open and see how the shoot is conducted.

You will need:
Gun, ammo (rarely as much as 100 rounds), holster, three+ magazines/speedloaders, ammo carrier, eye & ear protection, and a concealment garment. Some ranges waive concealment for new shooters; some even start very new shooters with gun drawn before the timer starts.

Have a good time and avoid shooting anyone or anything not designated as a target.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I went to my first match just to watch and learn. Figured I'd tape targets or somesuch and hang in the background. I had my pistol and ammo in the car, but was without a holster or mag carriers (hadn't bought any yet). I introduced myself to a few shooters and was told "Learn by doing! Here's a holster and mag pouches. What else do you need? Sign up and shoot, you'll love it."

Really great people.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the advice and encouragement. I've been wanting to do this for awhile but keep talking myself out of it but if all goes well I'll be there for the next one.It is at the Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club in Bristol,Tn. Anyone else on this forum ever shot there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts