1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into a 1911 and I'm leaning heavily towards the Kimbers. Problem is I seem to like the Tactical custom II, Eclipse Custom II and the CDP Custom II. Are there any pros and cons I should be aware of?? Would one be better for a newbie to 1911s.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I strongly suggest that you aquaint yourself with the different models by using the search feature here on the forum. Simply start by just typing in the name of the model. There is a ton of info to be had here sitting in the archives and later when specific questions arrive, you will be able to post more refined queries that can be answered by the many very knowledgeable folks here. Good luck.

·
Banned
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Welcome to the forum

PAOLO721 said:
I strongly suggest that you aquaint yourself with the different models by using the search feature here on the forum. Simply start by just typing in the name of the model. There is a ton of info to be had here sitting in the archives and later when specific questions arrive, you will be able to post more refined queries that can be answered by the many very knowledgeable folks here. Good luck.
Already done that for the last week... thanks. I couldn't find the Pro/Cons of Tactical IIs, Eclipse II, and CDP thread. :) Few range reports here and there....about it. Which is why I'm asking.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Custom CDP II

Well, I just bought a Custom CDP II (pick it up Friday, woohoo!) and I'll tell what I've observed personally and on these forums.

Pros
-it's just beautiful.
-rounded edges better for concealed carry
-tritium sites
-rosewood grips
-light because of aluminum frame

Cons
-some people don't like the two tone appearance (very few)
-plastic MSH on a $1000 pistol?
-saw one or two complaints about wear on the aluminum frame

I bought it after doing my research. I've put about 600 rounds through it and I'm very happy. Let us know what you buy!

·
Banned
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Custom CDP II

LittleLebowski said:
Well, I just bought a Custom CDP II (pick it up Friday, woohoo!) and I'll tell what I've observed personally and on these forums.

Pros
-it's just beautiful.
-tritium sites
-rosewood grips

Cons

I bought it after doing my research. I've put about 600 rounds through it and I'm very happy. Let us know what you buy!
That's what I'm looking for... Thank you sir.... Dig the name...great movie.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Custom CDP II

LittleLebowski said:

Pros
-it's just beautiful.
-tritium sites
-rosewood grips

Cons

I've bee lurking for a while, thought I'd finally get around to posting. :)

I'll echo the comments above. My first Kimber was a CDP II in the 4" variety. I use it for CC. Liked it so much, I got another CDP II... the 3" model (a little easier to conceal in the summer). Very happy with both. Only problem has been one stove pipe in the 4" at about 150 rounds. I now have over 500 through the 4" and about 300 through the 3" without a hickup.

·
Registered
172 Posts
you're basically comparing two different guns, between the 3 you mentioned

the Tac and CDP are pretty much the same setup.. same aluminum frame, checkering on frontstrap and under trigger guard.. the CDP has the meltdown treatment (which is nice for CCW).. the Tac has the magwell

the Eclipse is obviously different because of the steel frame.. weight is noticeably greater.. durability should be better, but the aluminum frame seems to be holding up well for the most part

I personally have a Pro CDP II... I've put about 700 rounds through it so far.. haven't had a single problem for at least the last 300 rounds.. and only a handful of FTE's total.. accuracy is outstanding and recoil is very controllable.. I expect the Tac would be the same

turn ons: excellent trigger, rosewood grips, meltdown treatment, two-tone look

turn offs: plastic MSH, could be a little cheaper (but what couldn't?)

as for the plastic MSH.. that's going to be an issue with any Kimber (at least to my knowledge they all come that way).. it's easy to replace by yourself, tho.. a decent replacement will cost about $20-35 and it takes about an hour (or 15 minutes, if you're familiar with the procedure)
I'd recommend any of the models you listed.. it mostly depends on your preferences and intended use

1 - 7 of 7 Posts