1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie Question - sight recommendations

I am about to purchase a 1911 to begin to explore competitive shooting. Should I purchase a 1911 with adjustable sights or fix sights, does it make any siginficiant difference as to events, performance, etc.?? Night sights??

Thanks,

·
Registered
21,981 Posts
What kind of competition?

For Bullseye, PPC, and Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup) adjustable sights are nearly essential. You are shooting at a small target from widely different ranges.

I have shot NRA, PPC, IHMSA, and BPCR in which multiple sight changes per match are necessary.

For IPSC/USPSA and IDPA the targets are larger and the ranges (usually) shorter. Good clear fixed sights that are zeroed for 25 yards are fine.

I have adjustable sights on my IDPA CDP and IPSC Limited guns that were not been touched for years after the first range session after installation. I recently changed out the front sights and had to correct for the difference and have not moved them again. My IDPA ESP, SSP and IPSC Production guns have fixed sights. My gunsmith and I got them zeroed for common loads at the most usual range and they have needed no more attention.

You can start out with a fixed sight gun and have adjustables installed if your favorite sport requires them.
If that seems likely, I suggest avoiding things like the Springfield Loaded or SW1911 which use Novak fixed sights for which there are few choices in adjustable replacements. An adjustable sight on a target gun should be a Bomar or something VERY similar, like Wilson, Baer, or Smith.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It's just a whole lot easier to sight in a gun that has adjustable sights.

If you're going competition then you are likely to be exploring differing loads. Adjustables are the only way to go.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
GENTLE SUGGESTION

Kimber, adjustables, 5", metal.

Your results may vary.

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
I vote for fixed. Sight them in once and you are done.

If you are shooting IPSC or IDPA its one less thing to break. I have lost two rear sight blades over the years. I built a new STI limitedgun, stuck Heinie fixed sights on it.

I only have one IPSC /IDPA gun left with adjustables. Even my revos have fixed sights.

If you do decide to go with adjustables, get Bo-Mars. Avoid any of the copies.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
I see no advantage adj. sights offer for IPSC or IDPA. My Kimber CST came with them, but I can see no reason to put adj. on if you already have fixed. My IPSC/IDPA Glocks all have a fixed Novak lowmount rear.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've seen several guns that shot low with fixed sights and had to have the sight filed.

Aiming high is hard on the 20 yard USPSA head shots you see at times.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm going to vote for the Wilson adjustable. It's supposed to be the most rugged adjustable out there - significantly more than the Bomar.

As Jim Watson has already indicated, an adjustable rear will allow you to play with different front sights more easily. The Wilson also has easily changed rear blades. They offer two different notch sizes, a blade the corners rounded off, night sights, etc., and even a blank blade. With the blank blade, you could rig up something like an express system (not that Ashley doesn't make this, but the whole point that I'm trying to make is that the Wilson sight is very versatile for things that go beyond different loads.)

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
I have one Bo-Mar, and I'm working on my third Wilson. Most good gunsmiths can do a Bo-Mar installation, but the Wilson requires a completely different set-up (unless they make one that fits a Bo-Mar cut?), and you might have trouble finding someone to do it locally, if that matters.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wilson does make their sight for the Bomar cut, as well as their own cut. I've got the Bomar cut.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I agree that fixed sights work just fine for practical shooting (IPSC/IDPA), but, then, on the other hand, it's very infrequent that someone has a problem with adjustable sights. Run-whatcha-brung I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts