1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a Springfield 1911 in 9mm. If there happen to be any problems with the gun, do I need to use an FFL to send or receive it to SA? Secondly, what does MIM stand for? And finally, what is meant by the "break in period" for a 1911- what do you do special and what problems might you expect? Thanks- this is a great web site, and I am very happy to have discovered it.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
RM, I have 3 S/A 1911's in 9mm, you'll love yours when you get it. If you ever need to send your gun back to the manufacturer you must ship it via UPS or FEDEX OVERNIGHT and the manufacturer may ship it back to you without you having to go through a licensed dealer. MIM is Injection Molding. The average break in period means you should fire a set amount of ammunition to break in your gun, give it a chance to loosen up and let the parts set into their permanent positions. The average for 1911's is around 500-750 rounds I on the other hand prefer to break in an auto with an even 1k rounds. As to problems with your Springfield? As an owner of 12 S/A 1911's I foresee no problems at all and if their are any, contact the factory via landline and in most cases you can talk them into paying for shipping both ways. Occassionally their will be problems. Recently I purchased a threesome, all steel 1911A1's "loaded" parkerized/blued/stainless and all three lost their rear sights after less than 3 magazines. I call S/A, they issued an RMA and told me to box the guns up and they would have FEDEX pick up the guns the next day (tuesday). On Friday I received all three back from Springfield, they had fixed the sights and for my troubles they had replaced the sights on all guns with 3 dot night sights and shipped each gun back with 2 8 round magazines.
On the subject of magazines, I would recommend two different types. Either Wilson Combat 7 or 8 rounders which run around $27-30 but come with a lifetime warranty( which I've used a few times) and Chip McCormick stainless 8 round mags with bumper pad which also have lifetime warranty.
http://www.wilsoncombat.com http://www.cdnninvestments.com
cdnn check under magazines they sell CM for $12.99 in stainless with bumper pads.

Good luck and enjoy your new S/A pistol.

PS- Don't take Springfield up on their "loaded" coupon for magazines at $7 a piece, go with the McCormick.

John

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey John-- FYI, it looks like Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat are no longer making mags in 9mm. Couldn't find them on their websites.

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts