1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a P14 and would like to know what diffrent kinds of slides I could put on it. Is it possible to put a slide with a 4.25" barrel on it? What about putting a different caliber slide on it? Or are the magwells diffrent sizes?

This is the first autoloading pistol that I have purchased; I normally specialize in ARs, therefore I'm used to being able to interchange to my hearts content. It would be nice if these were sorta similar :)

But I now know one thing for sure, If I were to add all the extra that I could want to this pistol, it will at least rival, if not out cost my favorite preban AR :eek:

·
Banned
277 Posts
A P-14 will accept any series 80 5" slide "gov't" slide (perhaps with fitting in some cases) I am not so sure about the 4.25"s though.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I've seen guns where someone installed a commander size slide on a full size frame and the gun did cycle and fire. That being said my recommendation is if one wants to install a commander slide on a full size frame its best to machine the full size frame to commander frame specs.
The reason I say this is, if the frame is not machined to commander specs the commander slide will short cycle on the full size frame. I believe in time the frame being the softer of the two, will have damage to the frame rails.
The full size frame rails are about .100 longer than the commander frame rails and the recoil shield impact surface in a commander frame is about about .065 deeper. Now if one machines the frame to commander specs I do not recommend using a full size slide, I covered this in another post about short frames and full size slides.
Now don't confuse the fact that one can take a full size slide chop it some and use it with a bull barrel and reverse plug. The reverse plug and guide rod would have to be machined and the cost of the project may not be worth what little you would lose in slide length.
In the long run I think it would be less expensive to just have two guns, a P14 and a P-13 or a Tac-Four:D .
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts