1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in the 1911 model pistol, and am considering it for a carry gun. I would like to, in the long run, be able to swap out a short carry slide, with a longer more competition style slide/barrel, if this is even possible. From what I gather, I am looking for a Commander frame/slide/barrel, which is about 4.5", and then later on buying an extra 6" slide and barrel.

Again, if all this is even possible, I'd like the frame to be somewhat flexible in what little extras I could put in it. I am not sure if I should go completely custom from scratch, or buy a complete commander to carry, and slowly upgrade little parts here and there until I am ready for a new long slide and barrel.

Is what I am asking possible at all, is it just possible if I start from a custom blank frame, if I need to go completely custom, what is the cheapest commander sized gun I could make with no experience at all?

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Please excuse the question if it is just completely insane ;-)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
RuffianoPatsu, I would recommend renting a stock Commander and seeing exactly what you would want to change. My main interest is in carry pieces and therefore I am not keen on extended slide releases or safeties. Further, I chamber rounds by using the slingshot method rather than using the slide release. I don't think the two slide idea is a bad one but I have several multi caliber pistols and I honestly seldom switch them. I guess I am just lazy. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My main reason for doing having one gun for both needs would of course be money, the other would be having the same base frame with all my desired internals which I I could use for each slide. I intend on carrying the pistol in the front of my pants via a clip, I am thinking that would cut down a bit on extra things that may be uncomfortable. The things I would change would just be minor, probably more cosmetic things, like a new trigger, hammer, maybe springs. I am not quite sure what the "slingshot" method of chambering is, just re-pulling the slide I am assuming, but theoretically, while carrying I should never have to chamber a round, so the extended parts shouldn't be much of a problem.

I am assuming from the posts this is completely possible, but how cost effective is it for just the base carry commander, that is if I need to get a more custom frame and such?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It's ALL posssible with 1911s, that's one reason it's a great platform.

Suggest you just buy the Commander, and get started learning about them.

·
Registered
21,767 Posts
Commander frame dimensions differ from Government Model. The dust cover is shorter and, more important, the slide rails are shorter and the recoil spring abutment is further back. Getting two different length slide/barrel assemblies to run on the same frame is not impossible, but it is not just a simple interchange, either.

I suggest you go ahead and get a Commander and shoot it. In a few thousand rounds and a few dozen matches of whatever sort of competition you prefer, you will be better informed about what to do next.

By the way, a new hammer and trigger are not cosmetic. They are major functioning parts, fitted to the gun, and the change is not like switching hubcaps.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
RuffianoPatsu, as I said, my main area of interest is CCW. With this said I am ignorant of the clip method of carrying. When I carry a 1911, Commander, or Officer I use a belt slide (MIlt Sparks Mirage) or IWB holster (Milt Sparks Summer Special.) You can feed a round by either releasing the slide using the slide release or by pulling back on the slide and releasing it (sling shot.) I hope this helps. Regards, Richard:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts