1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Im a slug gun guy thru and thru but I am making a trip out west for elk next year and nee help on a first rifle purchase

I need/ want a bolt action rifle, I am real partial to a Ruger 77MKII (I have a .22 on this action and love it)

I was orig. thinking a .308 but I dont think its enough gun

I will use it for elk and Mulies out west, but will try to hunt whitetails here in Michigan--and anywhere else for that matter--

I also have the chance to shoot antlopes in North Dakota

I know there is no one magic bullet or caliber but I want the most bang for my buck

My second thoughts were maybe a 7mm mag or .30-06
Im thinking more alone the lines of a .300 win mag, or maybe a .300 WSM

Help now hurry I have until next Nov

Jamie

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
im partial to the Savage rifles if your gonna keep it stock, ive shot several, all have been amazingly accurate out of the box and have GREAT adjustable triggers from the factory. The other choice would be to build up a Remmy 700, there are enough custom rifles out there built on the action that it shouldnt be too hard to find one. As to caliber if you dont think 308 will be enought then 30-06 isnt that much greater, in the 30 cal range i really like the 300wsm due to the shorter length of cartrige, but still maintaining good power and a flat trajectory.

IMO, YMMV, etc....

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
If it were me, I'd get a Tikka, and 308 would be fine, though so would 30-06, 7mm mag, etc. If it makes you feel better to step up to a 300 win mag or something thats fine, but its really more gun than you need for most of what you will be hunting, and the others would get the job done I would think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts