1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm, not a newbie on guns specifically, I've been around them all of my 25 years and served 4 years in the Marines. However, I've never actually purchased one myself, especially a pistol.

Can anyone here in the great hand state tell me what I need to do?

I am planning on getting a Rock Island GI spec .45 from one of the places in Shotgun news or online. I know that probably means I will have to have it shipped to a FFL'd dealer here in Michigan. However, I know there's some state/federal BS paperwork I have to do. The Gander Mountain in Grand Rapids says they can handle the transfer of the gun for $25, which seems pretty good, but I haven't gotten a straight answer from the 2 people I've talked to there on what exactly they cover in that $25. I don't want to go there with my money in hand and have the gun shipped to them, only to find out I still need to go do something else in order to actually pick it up.

I know about the background check, which I have to go to my county Sheriff's office about. Anything else I need to do?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
!: Make sure the pistol is in state or can be instate in a short period of time.
2: Go to your local police department/sheriff's department and get a purchase permit. Get all 3 parts noterized.
3: Go to your friendly dealer, fill out the 4473 and pay your money. Also buy a State Police mandated trigger lock (keep the receipt)
4: Return to your polcie department with your pistol and 2/3's of the purchase permit and they will conduct a "safety inspection" and register it.
5: Depart the police station with your new blaster.

Police departments are supposed to issue permits during all business hours but some set times that you can get permits. The only way to get them to comply with the law would be to sue.
Some departments will require you to supply more identification than the law requiers too, again you'd have to sue to get compliance.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Good grief :mad: I don't think those of us in gun-friendlier states realize how fortunate we are not having to go through all that red tape.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is pretty nice not having to go through all that trouble. I filled out a paper, waited about 10 minutes then bought the gun and that was it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Howdy AJM, it's Tim from ORC.... Basically the sheriff issues a permit that is good for 10 days... Pretty much have to make sure the gun can be at the location you want within 10 days of aquiring the permit.

When it's there and you have your permit, just go and fill out the normal paperwork at the store, they fill out the paperwork from the sheriff department, keep their portion of that, and then you get the gun which you must return to the sheriff's dept within 10 days of aquiring it, so they can do a "safety inspection" in which they look at the serial number and hand it back.

IMO the system is severely flawed since all that additional garbage should be able to be done over the phone if they even think it's necessary at all... There is no point in having to show them the gun since it's not an expert that looks at it anyhow, and they do not test it for function, but merely check the serial number. And that's a goofy measure too since it's strongly in the store's best interest to not lie about what they sold you anyway due to the myriad of other regs they would likely cross to do so...

Oh yeah, don't expect to be able to do it on the weekend... I found out at least over here they don't do it on weekends, just normal business hours, which is ridiculous since it's typically *working* people who legally procure guns, and many individuals work that shift and can't get out of it... Stupid system... But at least it allows us to walk out of the store with the gun the same day we pay for the gun, which is at least a couple notches better than some places... Luckily the permit junk only applies to pistols too, not long arms as with some states...

Hopefully someday the pendulum will swing back the other way and common sense will once again prevail... Unfortunately I'm not holding my breath...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny marvl, funny.:p

Thanks guys, any other advice?

I'm hopefully talking to the dealer tomorrow about actually purchasing the gun and some mags for it.:cool:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Nope, these guys covered it above. You will not have to wait at the store for a background check (AKA Brady) you will not have to wait 5 days, etc. All of that red tape is taken care of when you stop by your SO or PD. Note that if you live in a city you will need to get your permit from the PD, not the SO.

People rag on Michigan because of our gun laws, but I really believe that we are more reasonable than just about any other state. Colorado? Puhleese. Try carrying a gun in Denver!

Michigan is a shall issue state, and the permit is good for any jurisdiction within the state. We don't allow our cities to put weird restrictions on ownership or carry.

We recognize carry permits from any other state. We recognize badges from LEO's of any other state and Canada. Yet as a Michigan LEO, I am often forbidden by law to possess a firearm in other states.

We have no waiting period, and there is no "5 day processing delay" if something comes up hinkey on the background check. We inspect the records on the spot. You get your permit, you go to the store, you walk out with a gun. Easy as pie.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the gun last Thursday, and man, it looks nice. Haven't fired it yet due to being busy at work and currently in the middle of a gradual move up north. Hopefully tomorrow morning though.:biglaugh:

I ended up getting it from Damian at Adco Firearms in Ohio. He beat everyone else's price by a decent enough margin. Service was prompt and very friendly. He's Dubb on here. My biggest wait was just on the FFL copy and then my money order to get to him. Adco had the gun to Bob's Gun & Tackle in Hastings, MI in under 2 days, and the paperwork went surprisingly easy. The computers weren't working when I showed up at the Barry County Sheriff's office to do the background check, but that afternoon they were and the background check was completed in under 30 minutes start to finish. Including driving the 1-2 miles between Bob's and the Sheriff's office once each way, I think the entire process took under 2 hours. Not bad considering the ladies doing the paperwork at both places weren't the fastest.

Overall I guess I'll just say I guess it went easier and faster than I was expecting. I still think it's a big waste of time and an affront to the 2nd amendment, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.:p

·
Registered
55 Posts
Patrick speakth in part:

"....but I really believe that we are more reasonable than just about any other state."

Patrick, you need to get out more! A quick review of Michigan gun laws as assembled by Packing.org does not support your contentions.

Michigan has extremely restrictive gun laws, Where to start? Well first would be mandatory handgun (all firearms?) registration.

Then how about a $5 permit to even purchase a firearm?

Madatory safety inspection of firearms - the good news is this is apparently free.

Let's see, no carry permitted in state parks (hunting season excepted), no friendly peaceable journey laws, yada, yada, yada.

We shouldn't let the chicken little, gun control lobby convince us that gun laws are 'reasonable' when they impose such restrictions on our basic constitutional rights. They (gun controllers) love making themselves feel good at the gunowners expense. The criminals - well by definition they don't/won't comply with the laws anyway.

Jim

·
Registered
436 Posts
In MI. long guns NICS check only on new or used in dealer,used from individual pay cash & go no paper work.Handgun registered("safety checked") new or used,need to be 21 and have purchase permit to purchase handgun from dealer or new, however at 18 you can get a purchase permit, buy and register, if purchased "used" from individual.Figure that out.If you have a CCW you can purchase handgun on your CCW(on the spot from a dealer after a NICS check) but still need to take it and get it registered("safety checked").From an individual( even if you have a CCW) you still need a purchase permit so the seller can retain 1 of the 3 sections for his or her record of sale.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
mich laws

Man what are some of you smokin? I have never had a problem in michigan in the 18 yrs I have lived here after the Army. It is a CCW shall issue state and I had no problem getting one right after legislation was passed. COP and sheriff did shoot off mouths a bit about the usual bs pc crap but our prosacuting atty was in full support and even came out to say if there were "problems" he would look into it and charge those not following the law. {he is now a judge} Damn right I voted for him. While there is some restrictions on ccw carry most are not unreasonable and some have already been ruled against. I will not support ANY store signed no carry. Our credit union initially posted but the signs vanished very quickly. If you have a ccw you need no purchase permit to buy. You do the 4473 get called in [fed stuff] hand over cash. You do need to still get it "safety inspected" but what they are looking for is stolen/altered guns. I am not enamored with what they soak us ccw holders but greed and govt start with the same letter don't they. And frankly I would have a ccw if for no other reason then for those stop and shops where you find some screaming deal on a gun and by the time you get back its gone. IE nat match G.C. in ss mint 325.00. think that would have been there if came back in a couple of days?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
State Parks

Not true, I checked and I could never find one person that could show me in writing that it was illegal. Natl parks nother story I think. Most said they had no idea about what was in the law either way. And no lit from parks mention it at all.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I did the background check, the lady at the counter made sure to tell me that the $5 wasn't for the check, but that it was a notary fee. I kinda raised an eyebrow about that, but left it as it was. Dunno if she was correct, lying, confused, whatever........

I wouldn't mind if MI was like Arizona. Open carry everywhere!:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Guys, Each county in Michigan can be different in the way they handle the procedure(from my experience).
If you have a CCW, then go to store and get gun and go to Police and get it safety inspected.
Howeverif you don't, here in Lenawee county, You go to the police station and apply for the purchase permit, then they send you home for 3 days. This is somewhat flexible as you can whine ablut it and they seem to be able to improve the time. I just got a permit and it was ready in 2 days. After permit is issued you have 10 days to use it. If you don't use it, "unused forms must be returned to the issuing agency". After you purchase your gun, you have 10 days to accomplish the safety inspection. Failure to do so within 10 days is cause for confiscation. Cost is $10.00.
In neighboring counties, the cost is $5.00 and the permit is issued when you apply. Selective gun control at work?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I am sure that most of you know this already, but the NRA site has a synopsis (in English, as opposed to legalese) of all state's gun laws. Here's the link for Michigan.

Michigan Gun Laws Synopsis

By the way, it doesn't say anything about state parks.

I would say the laws in Michigan aren't that bad, but I like Virginia better! :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
In NH, you jus t go to the store and buy it. They do the background check on the phone, and the only s/n recorded is on the yellow 4473. The state did not log it in the computer. In PA, they have the same quick drive-thru service with the background checks by phone, but there is the gun registration part with s/n wirtten on a form for the State Police. There is a $5 background check. It sucks, but it is still a world more easy than what was described for MI or other tough states. For people who love to buy guns on a whim, being able to live in gun friendly states would be a luxury, not to be lightly forgotten......I ams so gald that list members have shared their gun purchasing experiences on this forum. Raises the awareness for how good some of us have it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts