1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first 1911 Springfield Loaded Full size SS and I have a few questions about some customizing. I know I'm going to change the grips but I need some info on a few other things I want to make the gun look better but I want to keep it simple and not spend a ton of money and if there are some simple things I can do to help accuracy or function that would be great also...All suggestions/opinions welcomed!! Thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
I relay have to ask. How do you see making a SA loaded look "beater". I am not trying to be snarky but compared to many handguns on the market what you have is a masterpiece. If it were not a stainless I would say you could look into refinishing. Other than that maybe you could look at after market external parts. If you could give us some idea of what you are looking for more usefully advise could be given.

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
I just purchased my first 1911 Springfield Loaded Full size SS and I have a few questions about some customizing. I know I'm going to change the grips but I need some info on a few other things I want to make the gun look better but I want to keep it simple and not spend a ton of money and if there are some simple things I can do to help accuracy or function that would be great also...All suggestions/opinions welcomed!! Thanks
Congratulations on your new 1911. Having said that, it sounds to me like you're about to fall into the common trap of thinking you need to replace everything on your new pistol just to make it "better". Read my signature line to understand how I feel about the subject.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The only thing one must do with a new 1911 is shoot it!!

Oh and buy some better magazines such as Wilson or McCormick.

I also replace the full length guide rod.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The only thing one must do with a new 1911 is shoot it!!

Oh and buy some better magazines such as Wilson or McCormick. Why

I also replace the full length guide rod.Why
I`m just wondering why. I see nothing bad about S/A factory mags and at 9 bucks a piece with the loaded coupon how can one go wrong.
There is no great benefit to taking out the FLGR except you don`t need the hex wrench.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=178205

·
Registered
201 Posts
I`m just wondering why. I see nothing bad about S/A factory mags and at 9 bucks a piece with the loaded coupon how can one go wrong.
There is no great benefit to taking out the FLGR except you don`t need the hex wrench.
I don't see anything wrong with SA mags either. As far as what I own in mags, Wilson, McCormick, SA, and Colt. These are in no particular order. They function in all my 1911's regardless of brand of pistol or mag.

TM

·
Registered
552 Posts
Can't believe I have to explain this. It's long been known that standard 1911 mags aren't the best. Wilson and McCormick set the standard a long time ago.

As far as the FLGR, it's an accident waiting to happen. But lets not discuss that one unless we want this thread locked.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You might consider polishing the flats (Sides) of the slide to a high shine. If the front of the grip is smooth, you might consider improving the grip with one of seversl methods. One of the easiest and cheapest, by a LARGE margin, is skateboard or stairtread tape. I have stairtread tape on a couple of mine and some others I spent a pretty penny having them checkered. I think the tape is as good or better, and if you don't like it, it is easy to remove. You might also have aknowledgeable person evaluate the condition of your trigger pull and if it can or needs improvemrnt, that is a relatively inexpensive job by a GOOD gunsmith.

·
Registered
226 Posts
dsk, you sig says it all and is worth repeating.

"Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved."

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I'll second dsk's signature, shoot it and enjoy. If you want different grips, change them. However, I would wait until at least 500 rounds to change anything else, including the full length guide rod.

Welcome aboard.

Robert

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I have several Springfield loaded models. The ONLY things you need to change may possibly be the grips to suit your own tastes, and maybe trijicon sights. Everything else is perfect. AFTER the 600 round break in period. Otherwise, b4 the break in, treat it as a range gun only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts