1911Forum banner

Newest forum for another piece of JMB's legacy

3K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  LAK 
#1 ·
Share your Hi-Power stories and experiences within this forum.

See less See more
#5 ·
The Hi-Power was one of those guns I've "always wanted". Never got serious about buying one until Browning announced they weren't going to import them any more. Through the latter part of 2000, 9mm HPs were almost impossible to find, to the extent that Cylinder & Slide was converting .40s to 9! I found a nice used Mk. III after three months of searching. JMB probably wouldn't recognize it, as the gun was extensivley modified by FN after his death. I've been shooting a .45 for years, but shortly after getting my HP, decided to try it out at an IPSC match. Even shooting minor, I shot the best classifier score of my life. It's an easy gun to shoot, and certainly as good as or better than any of the "wondernines".

Reactions: Retired AF CE
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
ArmySon,

Great idea. Now we can all enjoy another one of JMB's creations (I know, I know, someone else finished the design after he died).

Interesting that one of the major attributes of a 1911 is its slim design, and the BHP is supposedly the hi-cap wonder 9 to have if you don't like wide berth 9mms like Glock, Sig, and HK.

I just purchased a barely used BHP Mk III (my third HP) with fixed sights and a royal blue polished finish, 2 hicap factory mags, in the box with papers. Set me back $499, and I consider that a good deal.

I'm leaving the sights and ambi safetys on it, considering swapping out a Mk II trigger return spring, recrowning the barrel, polishing the feed ramp, sticking in some Wolff springs, and putting a tritium dot in the dovetailed front sight. Oh yeah, and a trigger job.

No doubt you'll soon be hearing from Stephen Camp and Richard from the unofficial BHP sight.

Thanks again for the new addition. Lots to be learned on this wonderful pistol, which of course has a hardcore following of its
own.

Best Wishes, ACP

#10 ·
I just paid for my first 1911 and already I'm thinking of getting another one of J.Browning's wonderful pistols. While looking around in a gunshop I saw this BHP clone made under the "Ranger" brand. The clerk couldn't tell me much about it except that it was made in a former Eastern-bloc country, probably Bulgaria. Can anybody tell me more about this BHP clone? It came in matte black with rubber wraparound grips and plain sights. The price seemed pretty decent which is why I'm interested to know more about it. Thanks! I'm looking forward to this new portion of the forum.

#12 ·
I recieved a BHP from my grandfather as a graduation gift from highschool. He even had the frame engraved with a personal message. This pistol is the ONLY one that I would never trade or sale. Probably the most meaningful gift I have ever recieved. I really like to see this new forum! Thank-you!!!!!!

good shootin', gf

#13 ·
Fantastic! This is a phenominal pistol.

I borrowed my dad's SC model a few summers ago for some steel shoots. I liked it so well, I started scrounging for one of my own.

I found a used Tactical (Practical?) model last spring and have been shooting it on a regular basis since then.

I started shooting IDPA this spring, enhanced service using the Browning. I went to a classifier a few weeks ago. Out of 50+ shooters, I got top in ESP and top score overall. Kinda nice whoopin' on the Big Dawgs!

I also found a SC model of my own with 2 original hi caps, still in the box and barely used, if at all.

Fantastic firearm!

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

#14 ·
Son,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 ·
While I have said in effect, on another thread, that I prefer the HP overall to the 1911 (as both a service pistol - and a general purpose handgun) there is one area that the 1911 definately has an edge. That is the trigger. The trigger reset is, as pointed out by others, significantly longer on the HP.

But, as someone put it - choosing between a 1911 and a HP is somewhat "like choosing between one of your children". I have to say that I wouldn't like to be without either one of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.