1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pictured is a Colt M1911A1 that I acquired from the estate of a Korean War vet. The frame is in the 927,000 range and was made by Colt in 1943 and has brown plastic grips. The unusual part of this gun is the slide. As you can see, the slide was made by Singer. The slide was probably on a Singer made gun issued during WWII as the slide has the "P" proof mark in the top rear of the slide. The slide has been parkerized and my assumption is as follows. After WWII, the M1911A1’s were sent to an arsenal where they were refurbished and re-parkerized. (The original WWII Singer guns were all blued.) No attempt was made to match the gun to its original frame or perhaps the frame was damaged and had to be replaced. The gun was then issued to troops for the Korean War and it can home with the vet.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
Is that 'FJA' under the slide stop? Also, I am not seeing a rebuild mark, but that's not always present. Hmmm....

·
Registered
179 Posts
You are seeing an FJA on the frame so it's an early 1943 Remington Rand frame that could have had a NEW YORK slide on it. Now it's a nice conversation piece. One question: Is there any markings on the right side of the slide?
One thing to remember is the common GI/armorer had no idea who made the frame on any of their 1911A1's because the maker was on the slide. Only in the past 15-20 years or so has it all been sorted out who the frames makers were.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"One thing to remember is the common GI/armorer had no idea who made the frame on any of their 1911A1's because the maker was on the slide. Only in the past 15-20 years or so has it all been sorted out who the frames makers were."
-------------------------------------------

That being said by the above post(Joel Babcock).......I would assume it is possible there are some Singer frames out there bouncing around that has Colt, RR, Ithaca, i.e. slides and the owner is not aware they have in possession one of the "mystical 500" manufactured. I AM EXCITED ABOUT THIS POSSIBILITY -----HAD NOT THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE.

Lentis Lee
Scottsville, Ky

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
That being said by the above post(Joel Babcock).......I would assume it is possible there are some Singer frames out there bouncing around that has Colt, RR, Ithaca, i.e. slides and the owner is not aware they have in possession one of the "mystical 500" manufactured. I AM EXCITED ABOUT THIS POSSIBILITY -----HAD NOT THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE.

Lentis Lee
Scottsville, Ky
Don't worry, that has been thought of long before now, and the chances of Singer frames with mismatched slides still bouncing around out there are slim to none. A friend had a Singer which had been through rebuild and received a phosphate finish. Someone found an original finish slide, and had the frame blued to match. Wasn't a particularily pretty pistol.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
I guess if you found such an owner, the trick would be getting him to sell you his frame for a good price. No doubt he'd refuse and try getting you to sell him your slide instead. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts