1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone:

I recieved this PTM-S yesterday, pulled back the slide to see this.(see attachments)

I'm concerned that the throating on this is a bit too deep to allow minimum support to the case. So I hav'nt shot it.

Does this appear to be acceptable?

I'm trying to contact the shop that sold it to me to see if the have any background on the obvious work that was done to this.

I know a while back DW had 45 barrels for sale very reasonably priced. I would consider replacing it.

Normally I do not run hot ammo, but would like to be able to with no concern.

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions!

Thanks

Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Looks like another added to a amazing collection. Wish I knew enough to help you with your question. Was this one of the GB guns?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm certainly no expert........

But that looks overly agressive. My Razorback has far more material left than your PT. Hope they make it right for you.

My PMGD-9 had a botched (and unsafe) trigger--wish these guys would at least come clean on what they've done before selling them off.

(BTW sorry about that PTM-B, it was just calling to me:p)

Robert

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Tom:

You might want to email the pics to Keith at DW service to see what he says.

Take care,
Art

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
That throating job is a bit on the aggresive side. I can't tell from the pic just how deep it is.

I would shoot a few rounds and check to see if there is any case bulge. If the rounds do not bulge, I would think the pressure to replace would be off.

Bob

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
An attempt to cure FTF's, by decreasing the pitch angle of the incoming cartridge. Not the proper way to do it, IMO, and it apprears as thought it might well provide inadequate case support, as well. :mummy: I know what I'd do with it...

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The selling dealer looked into it and supposedly I'm the third owner. the previous owner says that it's the way he received it and he had put about 1500 rounds thru it. (all factory) with no problems. I've emailed Phil & Keith with the pictures. I'll wait & see what they say. The dealer says that It's O.K. for me to shoot and return If I need to.

Thanks for all the input.

Tom

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DW service reply

I hope that it's O.K. to post Keith's reply.(it was speedie!) based on this and Dave's comments I think I'll either return it to the dealer or at least get some compensation for the repairs.

Tom

Tom,

I don't know who throated that barrel but it sure did not come from here. I would not trust it. Standard ammo might only bulge but I would not use high pressure loads. A new barrel from us is $139.00. If you would like us to install it, assuming there are no other problems, we charge $70.00 plus shipping.

Thank you,
Keith Lawton

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Tom:

No problem with posting his reply. I'm sure Keith would not mind and we are glad to get his response. I also would take it back to the dealer or get him to cover the cost Keith quoted. IMO.

Take care,
Art

1 - 11 of 11 Posts