1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an old Para-Ordnance which I will use to build up a high-cap, 1911-style gun in 10mm. There are a number of things I intend to upgrade on this gun – which will leave me with a big pile of extra parts including the barrel and slide.

So I figure everybody can use another 1911 so I will probably get a stripped frame and build up another complete pistol from the parts cast off this and a couple other earlier builds. This will be very similar to a GI 1911-A1 except for the lowered ejection port and angle of the slide serrations. I can probably pick up a Rock Island frame for about $125 and the various pins and springs I am missing probably won’t cost much more than another $100.

The purpose? – Mostly just to finish out a gun that I have most of the parts for already. I can imagine this being a truck gun or something I can stash somewhere without risking something really valuable.

So I have a question I would like to throw out to the forum : should I leave this parkerized or spend a little more to have it blued? Any and all ideas or input will also be considered.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Parkerized!

·
Registered
808 Posts
They are my 2 favorite finishes. I lean a little toward parkerized just because I love them when worn in, but blueing wears in nice too.

One of my favorites is a good parkerized finish completely smoothed down with steel wool and then blueing over the top of the park. These age really cool. It's easy to do yourself with cold blue too, it works quite well actually.

I would be happy with either one.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
I'm a fan of parkerizing. It's a pretty inexpensive but somewhat durable finish. Plus, it makes a great base for other finishes.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Parkerizing will also be more rust-resistant than bluing, assuming you keep it oiled.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you are going to park it in your truck, the answer is easy, "park" it. Rough and tough and still looks good. If you were looking for a show piece I would say a rich deep blue, but she is going to sit in the truck. She is a working girl. "Park" her is my suggestion.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input.

OK, parkerized seems to be the best choice - although the CeraKote idea isn't a bad alternative and maybe cheaper in the end. Most of the parts are already parked but a few are blued. The slide has some obvious wear and scratches so refinishing is probably necessary anyway.

I am half tempted to have somebody weld a bead on the ejection port on the slide so I can shape that to GI dimensions just to get this as close to what I carried in the Marines. Not sure if it's worth it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I doubt cerakote will be as cheap as parkerzjng. I wouldn't suggest messing with the ejection port either. I get it, I was in as well but if you are going to keep it as a defensive pistol I'd make it as reliable as possible and that means lowered and flared. There will many other difference then the one you carried in the corp, most significantly less rattle and a tighter frame to slide fit :). No lanyard likely and better sights. Probably a long trigger as well.

·
Banned
1,200 Posts
So I have a question I would like to throw out to the forum : should I leave this parkerized or spend a little more to have it blued? Any and all ideas or input will also be considered.
I have a local guy that does both. My last two builds I went parkerized and am quite happy with the results. I used whatever oil he recommended for this one and it came out quite dark.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Thanks for all the input.

OK, parkerized seems to be the best choice - although the CeraKote idea isn't a bad alternative and maybe cheaper in the end. Most of the parts are already parked but a few are blued. The slide has some obvious wear and scratches so refinishing is probably necessary anyway.

I am half tempted to have somebody weld a bead on the ejection port on the slide so I can shape that to GI dimensions just to get this as close to what I carried in the Marines. Not sure if it's worth it.
If you want it Cerakoted, your best bet would be to have it parkerized first. Cerakote sprays great over fresh parkerizing. Not oiled, of course.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts