1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks now and this problem keeps popping up....

First thought (delima) and most satisfing in my own mind is purchase a standard mil spec the one with forward angled cocking serrations it just looks more apealing to my eye...next would be to go to the range and drop 500 rounds to make sure it is reliably and it is not destined for a return to the factory, Finally it would be to install a Beavertail safety, Commander style hammer, flat checkered MSH, extended thumb safety, extended slide release, a long trigger, and of coarse some nice bomars. Latter it will take a trip with me when I drop off some parts to have the pistol hardchromed at my job....

Since I can do all of the work and I already have all the parts to do this here comes the really big question

Why should I buy a loaded when it doesn't have the parts I specifically want AKA wilson Ambi safety a regular grip safety without the so called speed hump (I've often wondered who thought up this name).. As others have done the factory mainspring housing gets ditched almost straight out of the box and a match bushing is installed also the springfield hammers look kinda funny IMHO.....

So am I missing anything except a warrenty? Do I get a loaded coupon with eather pistol? $450 Vs. $650 And I get to keep a warrenty because the loaded model is already cut for a beavertail and the original parts stay put up in a box for the day it might return to the factory..... Also something I've been wondering just because, are the frames bar stock or a casting on these pistols?

So tell me what yall think ....

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the Mil-spec comes with the fitted match barrel.

That plus all the parts you listed would be worth the 200 to me.

But, if you want a pistol that you build up to your liking more power to you.

I don't think you could go wrong between these choices.:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The barrels in the mil-spec aren't match fitted compared to the regular loaded variety? I thought the only thing different was the trimmings, finish, and interior parts minus the barrel?

Will Springfield actually warrenty the gun for not being an accurate gun or is it a buy it and figure it out for yourself kind of situation? If so what is Springfields acceptable standards of accuracy at say 30 yards?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Regarding accuracy, here's an email I got from Springfield a few weeks ago:

""Thank you for your interest in Springfield pistols! The TRP model has a better slide to frame fit, more internal fine tuning, and a better trigger pull than the standard "loaded" models. It also includes the front strap checkering and mag well. Quoted accuracy of the "loaded" models is 3.5" or better at 25 yards, while the TRP is quoted at 2.5" or better at 25 yards. "

I don't know if the mil-spec is supposed to give you 3.5", but I suspect so.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally made my mind up on the situation and bought the mil-spec WWII model .... Also had a nice talk with springfield and they said they would gurantee that it would shoot 3.5 groups minimum and if it didn't call them and they would make it right (shipped on there dime and make it accurate) they also said any mods that where done outside of the factory would automatically void the warrenty .....

So after the conversation I headed down to my favorite gun store and purchased the WWII milspec $422.04 out the door taxes and all :D and I was very picky I checked out everyone of the pistols they had in stock and I picked the the best feeling model because the slide and barrel lock-up just felt right... I'll give a range report and pictures of actual targets ..... Lets see how the 3.5" holds up at 25yards :D but from how this pistol feels it won't be a disapointment... I have to give springfield praise for making a great 1911 that is very affordable and is fitted so well out of the box

1 - 5 of 5 Posts