1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a "Night Commander" s/n NC1xx. It appears to be of 1989-90 manufacture, and appears to be in very good shape. This is my first Colt. It is a 'lightweight'. It seems accurate enough, not a finicky eater, though the night sights (Triji's?) are quite dim, not unusual given the age - What can you guys tell me about this gun, i.e. was this when Colt's QC was up or down, what series (70 or 80), etc.? Any areas of known weakness? TIA

·
Banned
220 Posts
It's from Lew Horton and a Series-80. Colt's QC has been sporadic
for a long time. If the gun shoots well, you're good to go.

I don't think it has any real special features compared to a LW
Commander other than the night sights and unique rollmarked slide.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, A1. The good news is, she's is a shooter. It appears lightly used and is in good shape overall. I think I'll change the grips to some thin grips in dark wood or maybe carbon fiber after I renew the night shights, thx.:rock:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mike in VA said:
I recently purchased a "Night Commander" s/n NC1xx. It appears to be of 1989-90 manufacture, and appears to be in very good shape. This is my first Colt. It is a 'lightweight'. It seems accurate enough, not a finicky eater, though the night sights (Triji's?) are quite dim, not unusual given the age - What can you guys tell me about this gun, i.e. was this when Colt's QC was up or down, what series (70 or 80), etc.? Any areas of known weakness? TIA

It's a regular Commander with an extra hour of gunsmithing on it.

What may make it interesting would be the serial number.

It would be a Series 80 most probably, perhaps a 90

Any weakness ?

Not really ...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I like the Lightweights

I bought a lightweight Series 80 MK IV not long ago from a gentleman on this forum and its a good shooter. Functions perfectly, not quite a accurate as my better 5" models, but more than adequate for carry.

Whoops; Correction: I bought it from a gent on THR who had advertised it there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts