1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which night sights would you reccomend for a concealed carry gun? Im not really interested in fine long range accuracy, but rather quickly being able to pick them up with my 40 year old eyes. The gun is a Kimber Pro carry. thanks...

·
Banned
802 Posts
I prefer the Novak's with the bar-dot configuration. Put the dot on the bar and let 'er rip! Fast and accurate.

------------------
DVC,
Sean

·
Registered
81 Posts
AO (Ashley Outdoors) of TX has a pretty decent express night sight designed specifically for close range "combat" shooting. www.aosights.com
The downer is that the 1911 front sights require a dove tail in the top of the slide (not much of a downer if your front sight is already dovetailed into place, though).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Heinie SlantPro Straight Eights. They are fast. They also do not have the white outline around the inserts, are serrated front and rear so they do not glare in the daylight. The best you can get. I have them on a Kimber Classic Stainless.

------------------
John

·
Registered
568 Posts
I just put some Heinie Straight-8's on my Glock. There's more light around the front sight than the Mepros that were on it before (which have virtually no light around the front sight). However I'd like more light. How are the Novak's in this regard? How much light is "enough" for speed and accuracy?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just put trijicon three dots on my commander and I have nothing but great things to say about them. They are fast to pick up in both the daylight and at night. As an option that I didn't choose but might be worthwhile, you can get yellow or orange (subdued) for the rear, with green (the brightest) for the front blade.
My 0.02

------------------
"Aim small, miss small"

·
Registered
445 Posts
HEY BOB45:GUNNUTS HERE,My eyes are 45 and I really like the ASHLEY'S,super quick and very!easy to see,jusy my 2 cents

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had a set of adjustable night sights custom fitted to a Makarov by MMC.

The picture could be better, but you get the idea.
The rear dots are red, the front dot is green. The Mak, from the factory, is fitted with a very small rear sight (probably similar to a mil-spec Colt) and the front sight is a machined part of the slide. MMC did very nice job on the installation - it changed the whole personality of the gun. They catalog a replacement set to fit into the Kimber dovetails, although they mention minor fitting may be required.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Another Novak's bar-dot vote!

This is only MY opinion. If you can, try various ones under low light conditions before you buy. It's a bear to lay out big bucks for a custom night sight job and then find out you like something else better.

Neil

[This message has been edited by Neil Casper (edited 02-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Neil Casper (edited 02-10-2001).]

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had Novaks bar-dots put on my Commander when they reworked it. Since then, I had them put on my Sig-220. They are the best I've had. I originally tried the three-dots, but found that I had a slower orientation to the sights/target acquisition. I think I was concentrating on all the dots instead of my target. The bar-dots cured that. The all time best sights I ever used came on the Commander new! Regular old Colt low-mounts. But they weren't night sights.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Hey Kevinch, I want neon blue sights too! Talk about easy to pick up at night

"Yes friends, we don't just use dots, the WHOLE SIGHT glows!"

/sillyness, heh heh.

TRB

·
Registered
72 Posts
If your eyes aren't what they used to be, you are not too concerned about long range accuracy and you want to see your sights quickly on your carry gun, you need Ashley Express. Get the big dot tritium front sight - I don't think rear tritium is necessary. Fastest setup bar none IMO.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've got my first set of Heinie S8's on a G21. The problem I have with this configuration (and probably would have with bar dot) is that the tendancy is to try to stack the dots right on top of each other, resulting in a low shot. There's no easy way to know how much vertical separation you should have.

At least with a 3-dot setup you have a vertical point of reference.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Kimber or Chip McCormick. They are basically the same except for manufacturing method. You may just find someone to put inserts in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts