1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of ordering a Rock River Arms Limited Match 1911. The gun comes with low profile Bomar adjustable sights. For some reason I have a preference for the night sights, but really can't quantify it. I have night sights on all of my 1911's now. I will only use the gun for target shooting (informal) and plinking.

I would greatly appreciate any comments and would like to hear of other people's preferences along these lines.

Thanks.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
My personal preference is for Bomars on target guns. I find a 3-dot set-up very distracting for putting holes in paper. A plain black post with a plain black rear notch works best for me.

I like 3-dots for more "serious" work, and for IDPA. I find they give me a bit better flash sight picture when shooting fast or with multiple targets.

·
Registered
550 Posts
A three dot arrangement is rarely lined up exactly with the sights, and tends to give you a different point of impact. For close social work, this is no great problem, but at longer range or for precision work, it is a bum deal. Plain black for precision.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Oops, basically a double of the one below.

[This message has been edited by gm45 (edited 11-01-2001).]

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm a night sight fanatic too, but do basically no target shooting. Plain black if that's all it's going to be used for. My "target" gun is a S&W 745, plain black fixed Novaks worked to a 6 hold. (Gotta admit though, my Baer will outshoot it).

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I have adjustable night sights on my IDPA gun,I never have adjusted them or shot it at night,go figure

·
Registered
366 Posts
Since 70% of gun fights take place at night, night sights are my choice. Initially I found them slower to acquire the targets in IDPA & IPSC. After a few weeks I got used to them. Now there is no difference in target acquisition speed and my accuracy has improved.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
As you stated, you will only be using the gun for target shooting (informal) and plinking. Really doesn't matter what you have on it as long as it suits you. As everyone knows, Bomar makes and excellent set of sights, one of the best in the business for target shooting. I'd shoot the Bomars for a while and see how they work out. If they still didn't work out, I'd replace them or have vials installed in them if possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have Bomars on a few 45 ACP's and really enjoy them, but I have the best of both worlds as well. I have Millett Adjustable Night Sights that are just fantastic.

TC

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The 1911 is not a complete weapon without a good set of night sights and I add them to mine when I buy them. The 1911 is THE self defense handgun and it's just not complete IMHO, without a set of night sights.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all very much for your opinions. I am now leaning toward the Bomars, but I have a long time to make a final decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts