1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for night sights for my Para Nite-Tac. You would think that a NITE-TAC would have them already but oh well. Since they use there own sight cut with the excuse that there is not standard...The Novak cut seems fairly standard to me... What are my choices? I see that Metrolight makes a set but I have never seen them in person. Novak makes specific ones but no pics. Anyone have a set of something different installed?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Congrats on the new gun!

Para had a deal where they'd put night sights in new slides for about $100. You can mail the slides without the goofy FedEx "instant" delivery options.

I've got a set on a new CCO that are pretty decent.

The overall appearance is identical to the stock white paint dot type. (I have those on an older Para.)

(Want a laugh - my regular range buddy can't stand the "stock" sights on the Tac-Four. He LOVES the night sights on the CCO. They are pretty much identical except for the tritium.... Joe's got a few craziness issues :D....)

Chuck S. and I are also kind of enamored of the XS folks offerings. He's posted some nice pics at http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=189865 just today. I prefer the "small dot" version. I like to punch a little paper with the guns I've got 'em on, and the "big dot" version (Chuck's pic) just don't help. The "small dot" front sight is only slightly over-width.

The XS sights run about $120 and unless you do it yourself (BEWARE of the little bitty spring under the more recent rear sights) another $50-ish to install. Swapping a front sight can be fun. Para's Novak-ish rear sights seem to pop in and out easily if you've got the allen wrench.

Para's $100 deal (I assume it's still available) is a lot cheaper.... If you prefer 3-dot sights, I can't see any reason to go any other way. 'Course you can probably beat a local smith into doing the work in an hour or so. I'm told Para takes about a week minimum.... (To be clear: I just got a CCO with Para's sights in it. I'm assuming they're the same as the $100 deal. From what I've seen/heard on the web that appears to be accurate, but YMMV. Para has also reportedly "made right" at least one "not bright enough" claim. My other two Paras have the white paint three-dot sights. I considered swapping the sights on the Tac-Four, but don't carry it much anymore. The PX745EM - GM clone - just isn't a carry for me unless it really asks nice....)

'Tis kinda silly that the Nite-Tac doesn't have night sights.... Para's cost has to be around $50. With a gun that sells for that much, and the hassle factor involved in swapping in a new set, and return shipping, they might be better off to just include 'em, even if it means raising the price $25-$50....

'Course not everybody wants them.... My view was always that they were a "bragging rights" thing, more than anything else. Then I thought about it.... Here in OH non-LEO's (I'm a semi-retired rent-a-cop) have some legal hoops to jump through should they shoot, and while nobody is likely to shoot in total darkness, there may easily be situations in which the target is clearly visible but the sights aren't.... Cheap insurance.... I think some shark may be able to take that the other way ("bloodthirsty gun nut put night sights on to kill more easily"), but juries might find that confusing enough to go past it.

I haven't put out the money for one, but I think lasers are a good training tool, but don't belong in combat....

And, don't get me started on putting a light on the front of a gun.....

'Course I haven't tried that yet either....

(Started a war yet? :D....)

Regards,

·
Registered
15 Posts
They do still have the $100.00 deal, but as I stated in another post thet are out of them as of last week when I called to get mine put in. I Don't need them, so I will just wait because it does seem like a sweet deal for some night sights.

Justin

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Justin:

Thanks....

IMHO, if you're not going to do it yourself Para's coupon may be the best deal out there....

If you've got to pay for installation, I think it is the best deal....

I put XS sights ($120 for just the sights) on two guns here. Paid a smith about $40 for one installation and did the other one myself. If I had it to do over again I'd pay the guy for the second one :) . No problems at all with the rear sight, but we had to take enough metal off the front sight to knit a Volkswagen. My range buddy and I did it on the range, so we could sight it in, but I forgot the coarser file we needed. Between the two of us, if I'd been paying for our time at my usual consulting rates, we could have paid for another gun with factory night sights :bawling: . ('Course you do that for fun....)

Regards,

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I like XS 24/7 sights...you can install them yourself, just takes time to fit the rear sight.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I sent my new single stack LDA off about two weeks ago and got it back Friday. I had them put an ambi safety (I am a lefty) and night sites. They put Trijicon and they are sweet. They are as bright as the ones on my SIG P220. I was amazed at the turn around time. And since I had the safety put on, I had to pay that damned next day crap. Overall though, I came out fine. You will like the sights.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
My two alloy frame Commanders:

Para LTC with XS24/7.................................................................1967 Colt Commander

-- Chuck

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
cobhc:

The tech support guy at XS should know....

(Bo?)

IAC the more recent Para guns all use the same dovetails and nominally the same rear sight. The front sight blade height is somewhat tied to the barrel length.

It's a little hard to sort out their stock numbers - you have to nose around and figure out which model (rear sight with or without tritium, for example).

They're apparently happy to sell to Para owners, and have a good selection on-site.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
nite sights

I have a Carry 9 purchased used with XS 24/7 night sights on it. I don't care for them. Para still has the $100.00, 3 dot night sight program but they are currently out of stock. When they get caught up, I will get them installed. :rock:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
night sights

Called Para again today regarding their $99.00 installed night sights. They had some come in but they are all spoken for and once again on back order. I asked if I could be notified when they were avaliable again and was told the only thing I could do would be to send my slide in and I would be placed in line. I said that I really did not wish to disable the gun for 2 or 3 or 4 weeks for that and they said the wait would probably be longer and that would be the only way I could do it.
Does anyone know who else has a 3 dor night sight system avaliable for a Para Carry 9?
May be I should have bought a Springfield EMP instead of the Para?:confused:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Electraclyde:

Can't say for certain, but most Para guns use "standard" (at least for Para) sight dovetails. Just about anybody who sells aftermarket sights should have something that'll fit. Meprolight comes to mind, but there are others, including Novak. Para's sight information is easily available to the manufacturers.

Regards,

·
Registered
812 Posts
I concur with SMMA. However, I'm not sure buying a different company's gun (because Para is out of sights at this time) makes sense to me... :scratch:Don't get me wrong, I love Springfields.. Just wondering how the need/want for night sights would make you go buy/trade for another gun?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
SpecStingPL:

(It's "Stu".... "SMM Associates" is my business....)

What frosts me is that with everybody wanting night sights anyway and Para's wholesale price probably in the $50 range, why don't they just all come that way.... (Especially the "Night-Tac"!)

If you don't want them, or don't want Para's choice, it's still easy enough to swap 'em. (And, when you think about it, unless you're really off on night sights, they don't really bother anything even if you didn't want them.)

Some people are concerned about that little bit of light. I'm not sure that Civilian Concealed Carry folks should be in those situations anyway.... IAC, a little paint will cover up the tritium, and it's a lot cheaper than replacing the sights. (If you decide to sell the gun the paint is fairly easy to clean out....)

I did luck into a NIB old stock CCO last year with Para's night sights. I probably would have put XS "Small Dot" on it anyway. I'm way too cheap to do that now :D....

I suppose some dealers are making enough money on sight swapping to not want Para to do this, but if you'll look at the new Taurus 1911 (I'm not sure about night sights on it) they seem to have covered all the "aftermarket" bases. I'm not sure how many dealers have on-staff smiths either.... Mine does, but he's a little erratic. Like vanishing during deer season.... There are plenty of quality "mail order" smiths out there - downside is the horrendous shipping costs....

Just rambling....

·
Registered
812 Posts
Stu,

Sorry, don't take offense to me calling you SMMA. Most of the time it's just easier for me that way. I don't mean anything by it.

Anyhow, I concur with what you have said about the Nite-Tac and the sights. The name does imply it, but it is a light rail gun as well, so perhaps that's why Para called it that.

As for the big "T" (Taurus), yes they come with a lot of things that a standard 1911 would have to have installed as extras. IMHO, I don’t like them...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
SpecStingPL:

No offense taken!

I'm getting used to it. Even Sammy doesn't mind....

(My daughter named the little beast "Samson". The "P" is out in the back yard....)

I really hate the idea of bringing home a gun and then shipping it to Para (or anywhere) for custom work before I really get to shoot it.... Especially since I'm the guy who keeps a cleaning kit in the trunk, and have been known to take a new gun to the range before I took it home.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I guess I should have also said that Iam not all that impressed with the LDA trigger on my Para. After about 300 rounds, I still do not always release it completely & therefore it does not reset. I am accoustomed to the ordinary single action and do prefer that. This is all a little off the subject of sights. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Electraclyde:

Unfortunately a lot of people don't care for the LDA's trigger reset.

I don't mind it. I don't shoot fast enough anyway :)....

It's something that you need to be aware of - considerably more than an ordinary SA, but fairly average (IMHO) for everything else in the DA camp.

(I can't speak for Glock - I haven't shot one for some time.)

Don't worry about wandering a little off topic this far down a thread. However, if I start talking about my dog, that's way off topic.... :D

Regards,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts