1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the order form they list "night sights" for $75

On their site they have snag free night sights, combat pyraimd night sites, low profile snag free.
The also have a Battlesight, Serrated Blade, Tritium and you can add a front Tritium.

Does any one know what set you get from the order form?
It would be on a 9mm XTac compact.

Does anyone have an opinion on the sights mentioned? ... other than those of you who don't like night sights....I value your opinion, its just not productive... its not going to be for me.... and I know what she wants...:)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have shot the battlesight rear (no tritium) with a tritium front. There good sights.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts

On their site they have snag free night sights, combat pyraimd night sites, low profile snag free.
The also have a Battlesight, Serrated Blade, Tritium and you can add a front Tritium.

Does anyone have an opinion on the sights mentioned? ... other than those of you who don't like night sights....I value your opinion, its just not productive... its not going to be for me.... and I know what she wants...:)

Thanks
Sir,

My wife ordered night sights on her CQB Compact. We specified the tritium front and tritium battlesight rear. My wife typically loves night sights on everything she's fired, mostly Glocks and Sigs. We went to the range today to finish her break-in on her CQB-C and the first thing she said was "I like the red dot (fiber optic rod) on yours better". She now wants to change her tritium front for a red fiber optic front. Previously we had the green fiber optic rod on my XTAC-C but that fell out, we replaced with a red, and our eyes do seem to pick up the red just a tad bit better.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sir,

My wife ordered night sights on her CQB Compact. We specified the tritium front and tritium battlesight rear. My wife typically loves night sights on everything she's fired, mostly Glocks and Sigs. We went to the range today to finish her break-in on her CQB-C and the first thing she said was "I like the red dot (fiber optic rod) on yours better". She now wants to change her tritium front for a red fiber optic front. Previously we had the green fiber optic rod on my XTAC-C but that fell out, we replaced with a red, and our eyes do seem to pick up the red just a tad bit better.
We have a SA RO compact and My XTac both with FO... she prefers night sights.
My FO came out also... I went orange... its pretty good.

Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have shot the battlesight rear (no tritium) with a tritium front. There good sights.
I am thinking about that for My XTac... need something a little more for low light.

My EDC has Night Sights and laser grips.... don't want laser grips on another one.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
We have a SA RO compact and My XTac both with FO... she prefers night sights.
My FO came out also... I went orange... its pretty good.

Thanks
I'll have to try orange now lol. I forgot to add that I really like the battlesight tritium sights, I just haven't had an opportunity to shoot with them in low light, so I'm afraid I can't give a full review.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to try orange now lol. I forgot to add that I really like the battlesight tritium sights, I just haven't had an opportunity to shoot with them in low light, so I'm afraid I can't give a full review.
There was a link around to a place you could get several colors.... I got green and orange thinking that was the two standard colors.... wrong.

They have a violet that was interesting also.

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
None.Ya - I had a set of FO sights changed out recently to my nightstand gun with Wilson's "Night Eyes" tritium sights. They are battlesight rear with yellow tritium and the front sight is a green tritium - these work pretty well at night, and although the tritium is not visible in the day time, the white outline is. These are very good night sights IMO, and I have used others that weren't as good (for me).

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you have it done at the bash?
Have you shot much with them?
For my gun, this may be the right thing.

Has anybody used the others?
My wife is looking for "night sights".
She is happy with the ones on her 238 (very bright) and on the Guardian (dimmer, yellow in back, brighter green in front).

I don't think she is a big fan of the battle sight.

GP, thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
At this point, everything that I have has night sights. I am still out at night all the time, get out of work at 12:30 a.m. If my situation was different and I was not out at night, I would probably have fiber optics or a gold gold bead front sight. I'm pretty old school, so probably the gold bead. My night stand gun would still have night sights.

I think it boils down to your lifestyle and the primary purpose for the gun.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So what, you're target shooting in the dark? You really think you'll be able to line up sights in a defensive situation at night? If you really want night sights, I'd save money and just get the front sight. In a fight, FRONT SIGHT! That's all you'll have time for, if that. Sorry but, to me, a rear night sight is truly a tit on a bull.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what, you're target shooting in the dark? You really think you'll be able to line up sights in a defensive situation at night? If you really want night sights, I'd save money and just get the front sight. In a fight, FRONT SIGHT! That's all you'll have time for, if that. Sorry but, to me, a rear night sight is truly a tit on a bull.
Thanks for your insight and your point is well taken.

If you read carefully you will see its a gun for my wife and that is what she wants.... and deserves.

I am likely to switch mine out also. Why? Because I want to.
More likely to go with a Rear Battle sight and front Tritium.
This is on a gun I have not carried yet.

If nothing else, night sights help you see your gun laying on the night stand.:)

As for me, my night stand gun has crimson trace laser grips and night sights.

She tells me if it comes down to it, she is aiming at the red dot.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
MOST important, whatever she chooses, it should be her choice and she should be both comfortable and confident with it, and the hell with what either you or I think.

I have Crimson Trace on my 340PD .357 and my Kimber Solo, but I just started playing with the green (see it in the sunlight) Viridian on my XD Model 2. So far, love it. If you pair it with their holster it comes on automatically when you draw and off when you reholster. Neat setup.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry for the double post. First it didn't show up, then twice?

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
The Night Eyes are a battlesight type rear, and of course, in low light you aren't going to be able to tell that - all you (she) will see is the three dots. A good investment would be one of the Hackathorn or other classes where they do a night shoot, and you (she) can assess the comparative value of the night sights and the laser sights. Shooting at night gives you a different perspective on the type of equipment that works best for you (or her) - just a recommendation on my part. Don't take it as a "don't do anything until" type of suggestion; a set of night sights is better than none in the dark.
In my first Hackathorn class I got to see how effective the different kinds of night sights are, and at least for me, the yellow rear/green front worked the best (other than a laser). In any class, some will show up with daytime sights and/or flashlight, some will show up with night sights (with a flashlight as well), and still others will show up with laser grips - you will get to see each one in action, and how they work in a low-light tactical situation. Get what works best for you and your wife, and a good training class with a night shoot is the best way to discover that. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
If you have a LGS that carries Wilson, or even another maker with different sights, maybe take your wife down and let her handle a few choices. She might change her thinking depending on her intended purpose. You or anyone else here can't make her mind up. As you said, she deserves what she wants, so let her see the other options.

Good luck.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input everyone.

Back to the original question.

When you order "Night Sights" off the custom order sheet, which ones are you going to get?

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts

Thanks
The XTac Compact comes with a serrated rear Battlesight and a fiber optic front. Other than that, you can get adjustable rear with tritium inserts and for the front, choice of fiber optic colors red and green, serrated, gold bead and tritium. IF you need the night sights, so be it. They are bright but dim over 2 or 3 years. I prefer a gold bead but would find all of them acceptable. It's just a matter of preference. Night sights would be the tritium front and rear. Hopefully, WilsonCombatRep will see your post and verify mine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Good advice. I can also see night sights being a liability if you do not train or adapt to them properly. I made it through one of the most demanding night shooting courses offered by the dod with plain black sights and a flash light. I've mucked around with different pistols in low light, and the only ones I liked were the shape types, light Glock and Steyr. The dots can get confusing in the dark, and with an illumination device properly idenifying a threat I can't imagine why you would need them. I can see the appeal for competition because you are practicing at high speeds and visual tracking a color makes sense in an ideal environment.

My sights are black, I can use them effectively at night and I can hit center mass at distances that would make Rob Leatham proud. Maybe a shape night sight would be worth looking into?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am older and my eyes don't seem to take to regular sights as well as they once did. However I don't care much for triitium sights as they are larger than I care for, but I have gone to fiber optic sights on most of my rifles and handguns, I find my eyes prefer green rear fiber optics and red fiber optic front sights. When asked to advise I usually tell folks to try a bunch of different sights and to use what their eyes like the most.
GRIZZ

1 - 20 of 27 Posts