1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear night sight on my TLE II has changed from white around the night sight capsules to pink/red. Is this a precursor to them going out?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Actually it sounds more like the white ring has been stained by something.

What type of solvent/oil do you use to clean/lube your pistol?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used breakfree clp and/or tetra cleaner and light lubricant to clean the pistol. But I also used this around the front sight and it has none of the discoloration.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have been using BreakFree for 20 years with nitesites so thats not it. I don't know about Tetra though, never used it. Something had to have gotten on the white paint to stain it pink. Something red maybe, is Tetra red?

·
Registered
301 Posts
May,

The same thing happened to the rear sight on my Tac Pro. Kimber sent a call tag, UPS picked up the slide, and replaced the sight, no charge.

·
Registered
301 Posts
They didn't say. They just said to send the slide, and they fixed the problem.

The problem occured in May. I've had it back 7 months, no problems. I haven't changed solvent, or cleaner. I've probably cleaned the gun 20 times since the sights were replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Winslow e-mailed me and said the red color is a reaction in the resin covering the light. He said it was the result of a cleaning agent that was used after the installation of the light. He said it harms nothing but they will replace the sight with new sights, free of charge, that will not do this. Seems strange they did not put those on in the first place.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Very interesting........ and sounds quite plausible.

Thanks for the follow-up info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts