·
Registered
327 Posts
1. I do.
2. Ditto
3. Like both
4. Ditto. Looks less conventional.
5. Ditto
6. I prefer this one. I don't like the tritium dots.
7. Ditto but not really needed here.
8. Oh yeah!
9. See the other post
10. See post
11. Functionality: same. Design: the old one
12. Thanks

And... I prefer the blending of the old front sight (the dovetail).
It nicely covers the whole slide dovetail profile.
Definitely agree about the front sight. Overlooked that one.

Thanks for the education on the hollow. Not sure I would have figured that one out.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Maybe I can get Birdy to take another two photos: one looking rearward parallel to the end plane of the grips and the other looking at the end of the unmounted grip. These photos would show the detail far better than I can hope to describe.
Challis Mounted Grips

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I really enjoyed going through these pictures. Particularly, the comparison pictures. I was unaware they made changes to the Bob Marvel models, so this was interesting.

I like the style of the old sights. Both front and rear. However, I wish the old sights could be setup the way of the new ones. Meaning, I like the shape and fit of the old ones, but wish they could be had with a solid black rear and a gold bead front. The old front sight looks to be blended more nicely with the slide, and the old rear sight fits the cutout in the slide better. One thing I do like better about the new front sight is, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, it looks to be stippled to match the top of the slide. If that's indeed the case, that's a nice touch.

The new thumb safety, while it looks to have the same ergonomics, seems to be a more substantial and stronger piece. The lines on it are blended nicely, which makes it more aesthetically pleasing. I do wish that it had the wider serrations in it like the old one, though.

Old slide stop looks nicer. I can't imagine there would be much of a functional difference, but it just looks like more of a unique piece, rather than a typical style slide stop. And with all the other unique features of the Marvel, I think the old style fit it better.

I like both style serrations. Not sure if I can really say I prefer one over the other. I think the new style has a cleaner look. I think the old style looks more unique.

I like the old grip safety with the ball cuts in it. The new one seems like they just did away with a bit of a unique feature to make it look like every other grip safety.

I like the french border on the old slide. Again, it seems like they just did away with a feature on the new one.

The new slide seems to have more of chamfer on the muzzle end, which looks nice.

While I liked some things about the new model, I think overall my preference leans toward the old model. I don't like that they did away with some features. And while features disappeared, the price remained the same.

Thank you so much, Birdy, for taking the time to take these pictures and show us a very good comparison between the models. I don't pictures on the same level as you do, and I know how much time it takes me to get what I want, so I can only imagine how much time you put into this.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Another thing I just noticed is that the slide stop pin does not have the tip flattened on the new model, like the old model does. The slide stop pin being flattened on the tip, but not recessed is one of my favorite styles after seeing it on the Marvel model.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I also just noticed the ejector profile. Very nice. Doing it that way affords plenty of clearance for mag lips that may run a tad long which some popular brands do. I usually relieve some metal off the bottom of my ejectors similar to that.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Another thing I just noticed is that the slide stop pin does not have the tip flattened on the new model, like the old model does. The slide stop pin being flattened on the tip, but not recessed is one of my favorite styles after seeing it on the Marvel model.
I agree. A lot of guys end up shipping the pistol back for this option. Should be standard.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The photography is fantastic, Birdy – as good or better than any you have yet achieved. You've really raised the bar with your backgrounds and the macro shots are par excellence.

I see the challenge with blending the contours of the grips to those of the magwell. However, to my eye the final solution is the epitome of elegance and has been executed to perfection by Brian. Congrats: a very successful collaboration between you both!

·
Registered
391 Posts
As usual, the new BM 9 is beautiful and equally beautiful, are Birdy's impeccable pics. Almost unbelievable, but then again . . . not. They're Birdy's. Also, thanks for keeping the enabling up. Have the black, as well as the white, both in .45. Held off back when in getting the 9 in a combo look.

My question to Rep (or Birdy) is, I've always been particularly drawn to the gold bead front and wanted to know which # rear is customary to use? I may want to send my new, existing ss's slide in to get them installed, giving me the best look of both worlds, Also, approximately what's the turnaround?

·
Vendor
425 Posts
My question to Rep (or Birdy) is, I've always been particularly drawn to the gold bead front and wanted to know which # rear is customary to use? I may want to send my new, existing ss's slide in to get them installed, giving me the best look of both worlds, Also, approximately what's the turnaround?

We normally pair the good head front with a plain black Heinie rear sight. Turnaround time on a sight swap is averaging from a few days to a week at most. Email me if you need any assistance getting this done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
We normally pair the good head front with a plain black Heinie rear sight. Turnaround time on a sight swap is averaging from a few days to a week at most. Email me if you need any assistance getting this done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the quick response. Or if I wanted to keep my existing adjustable rear or the one shown on Birdy's, no problem, correct? I'll e-mail you later as I will plan to take advantage of the gold bead front and decide on the rear.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #152

·
Registered
558 Posts
Great shooting Birdy! Gotta be happy with that

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had finally sent my ss BM in for the "gold bead and rear adjustable sight upgrade and got it back last Friday. 3 week turnaround. I wanted the same set-up as Birdy's, which I got.
Thanks Birdy and Bob at NightHawk. Exactly what I was looking for. Here's one proof pic but Birdy's pics will just have to do for the rest, as they are just a little better than mine . . . lol . . .

·
Registered
3,414 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think it is a Ti Gold nitride. Extra 800 for the finish because it requires a lot of hand labor. I was told no extra time wait though.

I ordered a T4 with that finish for the shop.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts