1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all! Back again with the "rest-mod" Colt-Nighthawk. I am uploading the build sheet (with sensitive information removed), so that y'all could get a good idea of what all went into this 10 month project.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, the goal was to retain as much of the original aesthetic of the pre-1924 Government Model as possible, but with everything "under the hood" being new, hand fit, and just plain awesome.

If you have any questions about this job, don't hesitate to ask! I've noticed a lot of interest in doing a similar style job, so that is why I am uploading the build sheet!

Note: I had to send in my magazines to be refinished to match the pistol, so if you do get your gun refinished to smoke nitride, send in a few magazines!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting this, as it is something that I am debating. Do you mind if I ask how much did you spend, and why that finish?
So, I’d rather not talk money on the forum. If you call Bob Reeves @ Nighthawk Customs, he can get you a quote. Just say you’re curious as to what Eli Duckworth’s Colt cost to do, I’m sure he would help you out.

As for the finish, the chief reason I went with this is because it resembles old, worn bluing. This keeps the theme of “old aesthetics, new performance”. The secondary, but arguably more important reason, is that this is a nitride finish. Nitride permeates the metal, unlike bluing, hard chrome, etc. This process claims to help to harden the material it permeates. Pre-1924 Colt’s have a bad rap for not being properly hardened, and this was Bob’s suggestion to help the treatment of the slide and frame of this pistol.

· Registered
316 Posts
So, I’d rather not talk money on the forum. If you call Bob Reeves @ Nighthawk Customs, he can get you a quote. Just say you’re curious as to what Eli Duckworth’s Colt cost to do, I’m sure he would help you out.

As for the finish, the chief reason I went with this is because it resembles old, worn bluing. This keeps the theme of “old aesthetics, new performance”. The secondary, but arguably more important reason, is that this is a nitride finish. Nitride permeates the metal, unlike bluing, hard chrome, etc. This process claims to help to harden the material it permeates. Pre-1924 Colt’s have a bad rap for not being properly hardened, and this was Bob’s suggestion to help the treatment of the slide and frame of this pistol.
Thank you, I didnt know that about Nitride.

· Premium Member
2,062 Posts
its interesting to see the details listed on the build sheet. i have had them do work for me, and the attention to detail is always much more than you would suspect when you order. also worth noting is the information, help, and ability to make you feel like you are the only customer that mr reeves has. i got started with nighthawk. i thought the company philosophy was a good fit. turned out it is. they make..best.45's!

· Administrator
80,918 Posts
That's a really good-looking pistol, and I normally don't even like resto-modded 1911s. Perhaps it's because you didn't have them go overboard with it and just gave it the things it needed.

Reactions: Ky_Coal_Miner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.