1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought I had decided between Baer and Brown for my first Commander style pistol up pops my first close look at a Nighthawk. I am over the sticker shock and now I need all the feedback I can get from Nighthawk Commander Size owners about info on their guns and why they like them, which models they prefer and why..Any help would be most appreciated!!! Hate buying a gun sight unseen..

Premier II Baer 1.5 inch
Super Tack 9 Baer1.5 inch
Thunder Ranch Baer
Kimber SIS modified
Colt
Baer AR Varmint Special

·
Registered
662 Posts
I went with the NHC GRP II and I couldn't be happier. Its my daily carry and gets used in USPSA every once and a while. I only had problems in the begining with my reloads, but now it eats them like a champ. I would strongly recommend NHC and I plann on getting a GRP as my next full size pistol.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Actually, I just contacted Wilson about this. They told me they don't make a 4.25" commander slide, but will let you provide one of reputable manufacture. They do make a 4.25" bushing barrel, its in brownells and midway usually. I think I may go this route for a bobtail commander. I want one to last as an EDC, and I like Wilsons parts and the guns from them that I have seen. Like you, I looked at the LB Concept 7, RRA Pro Carry with a bobtail and Brown Exec carry and Kobra carry. Still undecided, but there are some choices. Also, people recommended the Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, too.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If it were my money...I'd get one of the Baer commanders. Better barrel, better fit, better materials.
But the nighthawk may be prettier. I realize this isn't what you asked...but I'm just offering my advice from what I've seen. Nighthawks are darn good pistols...I'm not saying they ain't worth having...but they aren't as solid as a Baer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Actually, I just contacted Wilson about this. They told me they don't make a 4.25" commander slide, but will let you provide one of reputable manufacture. They do make a 4.25" bushing barrel, its in brownells and midway usually. I think I may go this route for a bobtail commander. I want one to last as an EDC, and I like Wilsons parts and the guns from them that I have seen. Like you, I looked at the LB Concept 7, RRA Pro Carry with a bobtail and Brown Exec carry and Kobra carry. Still undecided, but there are some choices. Also, people recommended the Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, too.
Once again excuse my ignorance, but why not just go with their 4" slides and bull barrels? Is it just because different feeling when shooting? I know the bull barrels claim faster sight re-aquisition for succeeding shots... :confused:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had a Kimber 4" bull barrel, didn't have any problems with it. I prefer the orig config because it's easier to take down, no special tools (paper clip) to do. Wilsons professional supposedly is a no tool take down, but I just like the 4.25" and bushing barrel for looks and simplicity. Personal preference, but if I'm going to shell out that much $$$$, I'm going to get what I want!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tend to prefer the proportions of a true Commander size (4.25 inch barrel). I have a couple of Nighthawk Talon II, and they have been fine, accurate and completely reliable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd go with the NightHawk T3. Awesome carry gun as well as shooter. Although order it with the Diamond Black finish as the PermaKote seems weak compared to others. My second choice after that would be either a Ed Brown Kobra Carry, or a NightHawk Predator II.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If it were my money...I'd get one of the Baer commanders. Better barrel, better fit, better materials.
But the nighthawk may be prettier. I realize this isn't what you asked...but I'm just offering my advice from what I've seen. Nighthawks are darn good pistols...I'm not saying they ain't worth having...but they aren't as solid as a Baer.
I previously carried a full size 1911 as my plain clothes duty pistol. I decided to change to something a little smaller and looked at almost all of the premium 1911 brands. I narrowed my choices down to the Nighthawk and Les Baer after extensive looking and reports of owners and pistol owners.

The Nighthawk has more options and "prettier" finish details. It is also a looser fit than the Baer so it field strips easier than the Les Baer.

I decided on the Les Baer and went with a Concept VIII model. I am very happy with the Les Baer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you're looking for a true Commander size (4.25") gun, Brown or Rock River is probably your best bet. I have a 4.25" NH Predator and I don't think the fit and finish is as good as either of my RRA's or Browns. I've had great luck with the Baer 5" guns, but lots or reliability issues with a Commanche and Stinger I've owned in the past.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd go with the NightHawk T3. Awesome carry gun as well as shooter. Although order it with the Diamond Black finish as the PermaKote seems weak compared to others. My second choice after that would be either a Ed Brown Kobra Carry, or a NightHawk Predator II.

I m interested in a T3 also and i agree itd better be in Diamond black finish . But i havent had any feedbacks from people who own them .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts