1911Forum banner

Nighthawk GRP

2293 13
I just picked up my GRP from my dealer today. The gun is perfect. I got the model with the green gator back grips on it. The test target is one ragged hole and fit and finish are second to none. My camera is loaned out to a friend, but here is a stock picture of it. It is a mirror image of what I have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talon III or IV

Depends on what the purpose of the pistol is. The Talon III is a 4.25" barrel on an officers frame. The Talon IV is the same frame, but with a 3.6" barrel. I like the 4.25" model better. I like the balance and feel of it. :rock:

· Registered
74 Posts
I own a Talon III and I absolutely love it. It is just as easy to use as a CCW as the Talon IV, but the extra barrel length gives just a bit more umph in the velocity dept. It balances perfect in my hand, I usually like full size pistols because I have large hands, but this gun is awesome.

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,396 Posts
I've heard the GRP has a "black diamond" finish; what's your impression of it?
The description sounded a lot like some of the carbide and nitride wonder-finishes that seem to come and go every few years. Is it black? Is the surface smooth, like a satin blue, or rougher, like parkerizing?

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GRP Finish

The finish on the Nighthawk GRP is the same as on most all of their pistols. It is Perma-Kote. It is ceramic base coating. It is a true black finish. From the other nighthawks I have it is very durable. The finish is very smooth and does not have that ruff feel that other types have. I really like it.

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Range report on GRP

To be very honest there is not a lot to report here. The pistol functioned perfectly. No FTF or FTE. The pistol shot to point of aim. The GRP shot one ragged hole at 10 yards and 1.25" at 25 yards (the pistol will shoot better than I can at that distance). Everything you would want and expect from a custom pistol. I shot about 250 rounds of Winchester 230, S&B 230, and Hornady 230 XTP. I LOVE the Novak Low Profile Adjustable Night Sights! You get an excellent sight picture with them. I can not recommend the GRP enough. :rock:

· Registered
27 Posts
scowall said:
sureshot45, I'm also looking at the nighthawk line, but cannot decide between the talon III or the IV, any insight on these......thanks Scott
I got the talon III and love it. Very accurate and balanced. Gun broker.com has a two tone one right now that I would have jummped on if I did not already have mine.

· Registered
313 Posts
sureshot45 said:
The finish on the Nighthawk GRP is the same as on most all of their pistols. It is Perma-Kote. It is ceramic base coating. It is a true black finish. From the other nighthawks I have it is very durable. The finish is very smooth and does not have that ruff feel that other types have. I really like it.
I may be completely off here, but I think the GRP has the Cera-Kote which is very new and not the same as the other Nighthawk finishes. I know KG Coatings has just finished up its new ceramic based finish and the USMC is testing it on their MEU(SOC) pistols with great results. Its a good bit harder and more durable than the standard Gunkote which is pretty durable as it is.

You own the gun though and I can't even get on to Nighthawk's web site from work, but I seem to recall reading about the new ceramic based finish on the GRP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.