1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you all own a Nighthawk? Do you like them and recommend them? How about the internals? Are they all tool steel? Any mim parts? Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've got a Vickers Tactical, Yes, great 1911, Yes and there customer service is fantastic. They do not use any MIM in there guns (check FAQ on there website), if you check out m1911.org , they have a dedicated Nighthawk forum, you can talk to other Nighthawk owners. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
'Hawks rock! As Scully said, no MIM parts what so ever. I am the proud owner of a T3 and Heinie Tactical Carry. Both fantastic weapons - fit, finish, and function are fantastic. Feel free to call Nighthawk Customer Service if you have any questions regarding quality, process, etc. They are more than helpful.

Best regards.

·
Registered
109 Posts
They are on my short list and probably at the top.

They build a great gun and their customer service is fantastic. Another plus is their lead time is not as long as some others.

Contact George at http://www.migunslingers.com/. His customer service is also fantastic and he will give you great advice. Also don't hesitate to call Nighthawk directly. Ask for Larry Lyles. Just don't buy directly from Nighthawk, George Talia offers prices that simply cannot be beat.

Hope this helps.

Gladdly

·
Registered
989 Posts
My roommate bought a Talon on midtour leave from Iraq. One of the three or four nicest 1911's I've ever handled.

·
Banned
50 Posts
I really like mine.

Do your research, compare and then choose.

The Gun Community is like the Auto Community. Chevy V.S. Ford / Ford V.S. Nissan / Yugo V.S. Le Car... etc. Everyone has an opinion and you will get them.

Do thorough research on different guns and what is going to be used for. Then make your choice.

NH are great guns and I have had GREAT experience with the Company. I will buy another one.

Les / Wilson / Ed / Kimber / Springfield.... etc. are all great choices too... but research first and find the one that looks and feels (If Possible) the best.

ZeroOne

·
Registered
717 Posts
I was very pleased to see that my local dealer started carrying Nighthawk, but pleased only because I could inspect two Nighthawks firsthand. I didn't buy either one. In the back of my mind were the jist of two threads:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=180265
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=185326

I looked over both Nighthawks carefully. I found a flaw on each gun that I didn't think would/could be corrected without some tenacity on my part. The first specimen's frontstrap checkering was crooked--the last lines next to the mag opening were canted by about 5-10 degrees, and the left-side grip proved it as well--the magazine fit flush in the opening, and the checkering looked plumb, but the last line proved it wasn't; the right grip edge was parallel to the checkered border, but the left grip was askew by about the same estimated 5-10 degrees. The other pistol had as big a gap between the ejector and slide as discussed in the link above, AND there was a enough gap between the rear sight and slide to see daylight on two of the surface angles. For $2500+, I didn't want to take the chance that my costs would go up paying shipping and 'fix-it fees' chasing these imperfections.

For that kind of money, the OEM's customer service reputation has to be impeccable. If the gun isn't right right off the showroom floor, I won't take a chance that I have to go at the OEM with hat in hand looking for warranty service.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've got a GRP on order now and based on some poor samples that have been seen by others, I will ask the dealer who handled my order to do a visual, non strap cutting, inspection for visual evidence of any finish/fit problem before he ships to my transfer FFL. If it makes it to me with any visible problems, the ATF Form 4473 won't be executed and it will be on it's way back to the dealer.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a 9mm Talon and it is an absolute pleasure to shoot. However, I like the grip of my Wilsons better as they are slightly undercut by the trigger guard. This is a personal opinion and in no way takes anything away from the quality of Nighthawk. Whatever your decision, best wishes and safe shooting! :rock:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Me and a buddy traded my CQB for his GRP for a month or so, and so far I LOVE the GRP. Wonderful gun! I'm still quite attached to my CQB, but I'd have to say that in my personal opinion the GRP is just as good.... and for me, that's saying something. Call me a Nighthawk fan....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Do a search - there are much better equivalent semi-custom 1911s out there for less money than Nighthawk 1911s.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do a search - there are much better equivalent semi-custom 1911s out there for less money than Nighthawk 1911s.
I'd say just the opposite. Do a search- there is nothing in this world that comes close to being equivalent to NH 1911 for the money IMHO. My Talon is perfect. I ordered it with a few custom touches that Wilson, Baer, and Brown would'nt do. Wilson would have done some but for alot of extra $$$$. Every 1911 maker has a slip up from time to time but from what I hear, NH will fix it on their dime....even pay for shipping. I'm not taking anything away from the others but NH is on top in many areas.

Slingshot

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have to honestly say that I like the talon that I have, with the exception of the finish. I had it coated black over OD green. Within 500 rnds it showed signifigant wear on the finish around the ejection port, mag well, thumb safety and barrel bushing. After calling their very nice customer service line I was informed that this wear was normal and they would not recoat or warranty this type of wear. i stressed the point that the gun only have 500 rnds through it and it was only a couple weeks old from the factory and this made no difference. I promptly sent it off to Walter Birdsong and had it teflon coated black over green. After 3K rounds the gun does not even have a scratch! Looks as fresh as it did when it arrived. From now on if its not stainless Birdsong teflon is the only thing my guns will wear, nothing else can compare. Snakeater

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'd say just the opposite. Do a search- there is nothing in this world that comes close to being equivalent to NH 1911 for the money IMHO. My Talon is perfect. I ordered it with a few custom touches that Wilson, Baer, and Brown would'nt do. Wilson would have done some but for alot of extra $$$$. Every 1911 maker has a slip up from time to time but from what I hear, NH will fix it on their dime....even pay for shipping. I'm not taking anything away from the others but NH is on top in many areas.

Slingshot
Shark is right, NH quality has taken a dive lately.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I've got a NHC 10-8 pistol and I LOVE IT.:) The only bad thing about it is my other 1911s aren't as nice as I thought they were when I bought 'em.:biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts