1911Forum banner

Nighthawk Talon Recon

1786 11
Talon with rail.
I made Santa make an impulse purchase when I saw it.

It was built to match the gun featured in G&A's "Combat Tactics" issue:
Titanium blue frame with black slide. It is like the GRP but has the mag well, checkering on the back of the slide, and serrations on top. Also came with the Surefire X200. I added the Crimson Trace Lasergrips.

This is the first 1911 I've owned with a bull barrel and FLGR, and I am getting to like it more and more. Take down is pretty easy once you master the bent paper clip.

Last but not least...incredible accuracy...

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love this gun.:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
Man that thing is cool. I am really not a rail guy but have started to warm up to it with the addition of Nighthawks GRP model's, I like the Recon. I like your gun too, neat color combo. I like, I like, I like.

What did that run you by the way if you don't mind? was it about the same as a GRP done in the same manor or was it more? just curious.

CG.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I didnt like the pictures I had seen of the Blue frame, but when I saw it in person I yelled "I'll take it." Kind of embarrasing.:dope:
I had originally gone in to purchase a GRP.
The pistol was $2495.00 with the surefire included.

· Registered
735 Posts
So it is a little more than the Recon. The Recon is $2,495.00 (Retail that is) and it includes the CT grips, $2,395.00 without the CT grips VZ instead but with the Surefire. But you did score the magwell on it so it possibly a wash.

Throw that take down tool away! no need for it, I never use it. There is a good sticky on the Kimber forum that shows you how to break it down very quick without the tool. I take mine down is like seconds without a tool.

Good luck with you new weapon, Let us know how she shoot's giving an update after a few range sessions.

CG.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update. The gun runs great UNLESS I try to run Blazer ammo through it. Especially SWC. At that point, it coughs, sputters, weezes, and does not go into full battery most of the time.

Called Craig at Nighthawk. Didnt surprise him at all. They do not recommend ANY aluminum cases through their guns.

I did try different types of ball and hollowpoint and the pistol ran without fail.:rock:

Thought you would like to know.

· Premium Member
9,372 Posts
Hmmm...Can I ask why no aluminium cases? I mean did he give a specific
reason? I am not being a turd-sucker about your Nighthawk. I just have
never heard anything about aluminium cased ammo and feeding issues
with any pistol.

Regards,
Greyson

P.S. I really like the blue too. :)

· Registered
314 Posts
Greyson,

I have never used aluminum cased ammo so I am just guessing here but maybe the case tolerances on the aluminum bring the cartridge up to the higher end of the size spectrum and with the match barrels that NH uses some of the aluminum cased ammo may be just a wee bit oversized. Again this is just a guess.

· Registered
74 Posts
Here is the answer to the question why not aluminum cases in a Nighthawk directly from Craig at NHC.
Aluminum cases are light and soft. The extractors don’t work as well and they are very light and don’t eject properly and can cause stove piping. It’s a great idea for revolvers, but it has no place in the world of semi-autos.
Have a Happy New Year!

Craig Gholson

Nighthawk Custom

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The case size seems like it would make sense. The problems I was having were not ejection related. I just found about 1 out 4 would not go into battery. Some would not budge! It took some effort to pull the slide and eject the case that was stuck.

This is not my normal range ammo anyways, so no worries.

p.s. Greyson, what is a "turd sucker"???:biglaugh:

· Premium Member
9,372 Posts
az-coyote said:
The case size seems like it would make sense. The problems I was having were not ejection related. I just found about 1 out 4 would not go into battery. Some would not budge! It took some effort to pull the slide and eject the case that was stuck.

This is not my normal range ammo anyways, so no worries.

p.s. Greyson, what is a "turd sucker"???:biglaugh:
A turd-sucker is someone who wants to play a game of gotcha and not
really contribute anything positive. Think argumentative and contrarian.
Internet forums are rife with turd-suckers.

After posting that I need to take a shower...

Back to aluminium cases: Hmmm...That is something that I will have to
file away in my data-banks for future references if I see jamming problems.
In my experience I don't think I have seen this issue. Never really thought
about it. I always thought aluminium cases were a cheaper alternative
to re-loadable brass -- which I don't do. Now I know why aluminium is not
re-loadable. I think.

Regards,
Greyson

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.