1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get my CHL. Unfortunately, I live in the North Carolina branch of the People's Republic of Berkeley, and the vast majority of businesses have "No Concealed Weapons" signs posted. By state law, that forbids me (or anyone not a LEO) from carrying on their premises. This could make daily concealed carry rather inconvenient. Anytime I'm walking around downtown, I'll pretty much have to leave my weapon -- kind of defeats the personal security aspect of a CHL. I'm also worried about the security of my firearm if I have to leave it in my vehicle.

Any hints from experienced CHLers welcome.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Read the law very carefully. There's usually a difference between "places prohibited" in the CCW statute, such as police stations, courts and schools, and places where the OWNER wishes to prohibit carry.

In many CCW states, a business may post a "no guns" signs, but all they can do is ask you to leave IF the know you are armed. If you refuse, you could be charged with tresspassing.

The key is find out if carrying in these places is a specific violation of the CCW law, or falls under a tresspass if you refuse to leave.

Check out www.packing.org, or try to contact a KNOWLEDGABLE attorney (who himself actually carrys).:cool:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
FWIW, there are numerous companies that offer gun safes for cars. There was a thread on this Forum a short while ago that had some pretty good ideas for securing a handgun in a car. You may want to do a search to find it. One safe that looks pretty good can be seen at www.aegisindustries.com. I have used a Gunvault (www.gunvault.com)in the trunk of my car, and found it very convenient.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
i prefer the dont ask dont tell stance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marky Mark,

Your advice is very good. Having double checked with our AG, it is the case that carrying on private property where expressly prohibited is "unlawful". Whether that means a Class G felony or a Class A misdemeanor, I'd have to ask a lawyer. But the word "unlawful" makes me think that a dime dropped by an alarmed shopowner or customer could put me in deep yogurt.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is open Carry alowed?

If the sign said "No Guns" tis the owners right, but if it said "No CCW" then open carry :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Josh1911 said:
Is open Carry alowed?

If the sign said "No Guns" tis the owners right, but if it said "No CCW" then open carry :D
We have something called "going armed to the terror of the people" which pretty much puts the kibosh to open carry in town. :(

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Id check with a lawyer anyways. Your online state code is clunky and damn near impossible to use.

·
Registered
622 Posts
No Gun = No $

One State Rifle Association put out a card to be handed to merchants with no CCW signs. It was posted on this site, but I didn't retain it. Perhaps someone can repost it.

Essentially it said "I'll honor your request that I not carry in your establishment, but I'll also not patronize you either."

Enough of these being presented, and you'll be suprised how fast the "No CCW" signs disappear!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Maybe get some sportsmens clubs to picket (in a peaceful fashion) some of these establishments...? In this case it sounds like he might mean whole towns do this?

To my mind if you have a CCW but its meaningless because of this law, you should find an attorney sympathetic to the position and try to sue on the grounds that it negates the state law. Generally the higher political authority law should take precedence I would think. If that law leaves it open for local authorities to ban, try to change the local law or that portion of the state law.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hakko, Breaking the law is always a bad idea. But consider that if you have a CCW permit and carry in a no carry location its a felony. If you don't have a CCW and carry in a no carry location is a MISD. Which you you rather have on your record if caught?

This is a hot topic around several courthouses in the state, and DA's will tell you they hate the way the law is written. I teach CCW and are glad the state has finally passed the law but it needs revision.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1holegrouper said:
I would just move
Apart from the aforementioned problems, I like East Berkeley. Besides, I can't afford the property values in the Containment Area ;) .

C.R.,

Is that the case? Now I'm really confused! I'd write to my state rep., but I imagine that her idea of rewriting the CCW law would be to repeal it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Regarding C.R.'s post above, a felony conviction could also result in prohibited person status and lifetime loss of firearms ownership rights. Also, what about a CCW holder who inadvertently carries into a prohibited area? NC's law is seiously flawed. Given the enormous ramifications of a felony conviction, one wonders if an NC CCW is worth the risk.

·
Registered
513 Posts
This goes to the question of property rights. I have the right to control what happens on my property - you have the right not to come to my property. Even a store, open to the public, is private property. I don't spend my $$ where I am not wanted.

·
Registered
284 Posts
welcome to the wonderful world of CCW.

Try unhitching your pony in front of the P.O. with people milling all about. The way the laws are written puts people in danger IMO.

It's exasperating.

With good fortune, in 10 or 20 years of good conduct by CCW's, the laws will gradually be changed to coincide with reality.

Elsworth

·
Registered
353 Posts
HJK..... You said it ! I know several people that just chose to carry without the permit. Some of them have been doing so for years with no problem. Its a matter of using your head when going about armed.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
if east berkley is chapel hill, then youd be at risk of a limp wristed slap or being stoned buy rocks thrown like a girl at the mere mention of gun ownership. The leftisim of the place is unreal. Move to wake co, the new sherriff is pro ccw, and will even sign a class III if you want him to, so ive heard.

Go State.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts