1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever seen a production 9mm 1911 that isn't the SA match pistol? I'm looking something in the GI / Mil-Spec/ 70 Series vein that fires 9mm. No wacky wide or front cocking serrations, no two-tone - just an all-business 1911 in 9mm.

Do these exist or am I going to have to build my own?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,307 Posts
cobbhc said:
Anyone ever seen a production 9mm 1911 that isn't the SA match pistol? I'm looking something in the GI / Mil-Spec/ 70 Series vein that fires 9mm. No wacky wide or front cocking serrations, no two-tone - just an all-business 1911 in 9mm.

Do these exist or am I going to have to build my own?
Yep:



but it takes a bit of hunting.

Older Springer Mil Spec in 9mm.....only mods were Acc-U-Rails as the slide to frame fit was shot and a C & S trigger group as the original trigger was 8 lbs. This gun is very one very accurate shooter and a joy to handle.

Or.......you might have one built. I also have a Caspian frame/Springer 9mm slide/barrel that is one fine gun.

Good luck to you. :rock:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,318 Posts
Anyone ever seen a production 9mm 1911 that isn't the SA match pistol?
Nothing new on the market that I'm aware of . I've mentioned a need for a GI 9mm several times to the "higher ups" at Springfield . They're receptive , but unfortunately they can't make enough 45's . Introducing a low end 9mm now would further stretch their already heavily backordered system .

Both Colt and SA offered them in limited runs back in the 90's . I recall selling them . The Colt 1991A1 sold fairly well .

I'm somewhat surprised Rock Island Armory (Armscor/Philippines) isn't marketing one .

Taurus initially announced they would make one , but nothing yet . Theirs would have all the "googaa's" you don't want , but the price point is good .

Best of luck .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
I have wished for just such a weapon also. Would one way be to get a Colt .38 super and have a 9mm barrel fitted?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
19852 said:
I have wished for just such a weapon also. Would one way be to get a Colt .38 super and have a 9mm barrel fitted?
That might be the way to go if you cannot find a used 9mm like the gentlemen pictured above. Purchase a Colt Government and refit a quality aftermarket barrel and bushing, as in Bar-Sto or others quality barrel makers...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
Walt Rauch wrote about 9mm 1911s in the latest issue of Combat Handguns. I read it and he stated he had problems finding the correct recoil spring to use. My custom Colt 1911 9mm is very accurate but it is still having bobbles. I ordered three recoil springs with different weights from Wolff. I hope one of these springs solve my problems. Regards, Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,307 Posts
Richard said:
Walt Rauch wrote about 9mm 1911s in the latest issue of Combat Handguns. I read it and he stated he had problems finding the correct recoil spring to use. My custom Colt 1911 9mm is very accurate but it is still having bobbles. I ordered three recoil springs with different weights from Wolff. I hope one of these springs solve my problems. Regards, Richard
I have three full sized 1911's in 9mm now (Springer Loaded with combat sights, Springer slide/Caspian frame, and the Springer Mil Spec shown above) along with a an STI Commander. I had another Springer Loaded with target sights. None have had any issue with springs whatsover. All have funtioned like a champ (the Mil Spec needed a touch of work on the barrel throat for a feeding issue) and a couple are in the 10,000+ rounds area now.....actually one of the little suckers in up above 12,000+.

Good luck on the spring thing.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Star Model B, 9mm 1911's are available through aimsurplus.com and other distributors as well. Most of them have been refinished by the Russians after WWII and been sitting in storage ever since. Nice pistols!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Sounds like a Browning High Power to me.

When John Browning decided to get a 9mm he didn't retro a 1911 to shoot 9mm, he created the BHP. Good enuff for me.

No doubt though, all the pistols shown here are still great shooters I would expect.

TM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
633 Posts
I found a 9mm 1991A1 Colt NIB (old stock) on gunbroker a while back. It was a little too plain jane for me, so I sent it to get some work done and now it is PERFECT imho:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Richard said:
Walt Rauch wrote about 9mm 1911s in the latest issue of Combat Handguns. I read it and he stated he had problems finding the correct recoil spring to use. My custom Colt 1911 9mm is very accurate but it is still having bobbles. I ordered three recoil springs with different weights from Wolff. I hope one of these springs solve my problems. Regards, Richard
what sort of bobbles? what magazines are you using?

I've had several 5" 9mm 1911's and they ran well with either 11# or 12# recoil springs and Springfield 'front ramp' 9mm magazines. My 9mm commander runs well with a 14# recoil spring and the above mentioned magazines.

best of luck with tuning yours!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Dan Wesson

I emailed CZ USA a while back, and was told that next year they intend to produce the Dan Wesson PointMan 7 in 9mm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Not to turn this into a spring # thread but, I just replaced the stock recoil spring in my S.A. 9mm with a 14#. Its a little iffy with my match low pf loads but 100% with standard factory. With the 14#er I must hold the gun very firmly in order for the slide to lock back. For 100% match reliability I am going to put in a 12#
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
parisite said:
Star Model B, 9mm 1911's are available through aimsurplus.com and other distributors as well. Most of them have been refinished by the Russians after WWII and been sitting in storage ever since. Nice pistols!
That's not a bad idea, parisite, nor is the suggestion of the High Power by another forum member, since both platforms do mimic the feel and ergonomics of the 1911 style pistols...

At least, for the price of the Star B (I have one that has been a range shooter for 20 years) it cannot be a big mistake money-wise. Having said that, I haven't seen these Russian reworked AIM pistols you're talking about -- mine has the original blued finish without import markings and I don't believe has been reworked at an arsenal. If the Russians did a good job, it shouldn't be an issue performance-wise...

FWIW, mine has been very reliable, feeding about everything I shove down it's throat....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
SilverState said:
I found a 9mm 1991A1 Colt NIB (old stock) on gunbroker a while back. It was a little too plain jane for me, so I sent it to get some work done and now it is PERFECT imho:

I really like that pistol, SilverState; a real classy looking piece. The contrast and that satin-finished frame reminds me of the newer Colt SCG design...

Thanks for downloading the photo...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Get a RIA in 38super and swap out barrels You will have a very nice pistol at a reasonable price.
I have a old 9mm Colt Commander from 1951 It a nice pistol but worth to much as a collector for a carry pistol. I do shoot but stopped carry.
Besides have Agent and Defender for carry.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top