1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's not registered , how would they know .
Well, I understand what you're saying. The thing about it is I just ordered a rifle and now who knows how long the wait will be?

Very frustrating!!!

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
A local LGS owner tells me that NICS Checks initiated now will not come back until 4/1/2020.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well guys, living in Tennessee I've never had to wait days for a transfer.

My wife just now texted me and asked how I was doing? I told her I was frustrated because the gun I've been wanting forever is going to be in jail when it arrives at my FFL.

She said no it ain't, it's going to be quarantined.

I kid you not!!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
A local LGS owner tells me that NICS Checks initiated now will not come back until 4/1/2020.
I don't recall the specifics and don't have time to check right now, but I recall when the NICS was first put in place, there was a concern that this kind of quasi-gun control would occur. The law has a provision that if the approval/denial doesn't come back in X days, the transfer is de facto considered approved under the law.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tennessee doesn’t use the NICS system. It uses state data.

My FFL guy says this is news to him, and he made a transfer this morning.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Maybe the system is just flooded with requests, I know here in AZ the stores have been virtually over-run with 1st time buyers.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
CO. Has no waiting period, but now it is taking 3 to 4 days to get the state run background check approved and returned due to the high number of mostly first time firearms buyers.
There is a 3 day clause in the background check if an official hold is put on an individual, then the firearm can be released without a positive response. But the CBI is skirting this by saying this delay is caused by overwhelming background check volume verses placing a hold an any individual.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I don't recall the specifics and don't have time to check right now, but I recall when the NICS was first put in place, there was a concern that this kind of quasi-gun control would occur. The law has a provision that if the approval/denial doesn't come back in X days, the transfer is de facto considered approved under the law.
This is from the FBI website and confirms my previous comment that the transfer can take place if the NICS doesn't provide a "fail" after three days. A "fail" can't be the cause of a state-run system being unavailable.

Should a state choose to limit their days of operation or close state offices, this could potentially impact the Brady Transfer Date (BTD) by changing the time in which an FFL can legally transfer a firearm in a delayed status. The NICS Section urges FFLs to be cognizant of the impact this may have to your day-to-day operations, and also to stress the importance of adhering to the BTD that is provided to you at the time a transaction is put into a Delay status. The Brady Act does not federally prohibit an FFL from transferring a firearm after the third business day expires, even if the NICS Section has been unable to provide a proceed response, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(1).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tennessee goes through the TBI. I bought a rifle yesterday at lunch and the backround didn't go through until 2:00. It's usually 3 or 4 minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,851 Posts
This is from the FBI website and confirms my previous comment that the transfer can take place if the NICS doesn't provide a "fail" after three days. A "fail" can't be the cause of a state-run system being unavailable.
I have read an article of a case where the background check approval timed out after 3 days, and the customer got his gun... only for them to come up with something like a pending domestic abuse restraining order weeks later.

The local PD was then tasked with retrieving the gun with a SWAT force.

It will be interesting to see if more of these 'timed-out' transfers happen with harden criminals taking advantage of Corvid virus NICS blackout.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have read an article of a case where the background check approval timed out after 3 days, and the customer got his gun... only for them to come up with something like a pending domestic abuse restraining order weeks later.

The local PD was then tasked with retrieving the gun with a SWAT force.

It will be interesting to see if more of these 'timed-out' transfers happen with harden criminals taking advantage of Corvid virus NICS blackout.
This is the problem that was shown after a couple of the mass shootings last year, including the church shooting in Texas. The system is only as good as the data provided to it. If the locals aren't providing the data, then the system doesn't know. But liberty must be preserved before anything else.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts