Amazing as it might sound, gentlemen, I am happy to announce that my first detail strip of the Colt 1991 was a success. I can say that because I didn't wind up with a few things leftover, as is the case with most of my projects.
The adventure started out as a simple bit of dry-firing on one of those nasty azoom snap caps. After working the thumb safety a few dozen times, I notices that it was getting harder and harder to engage the safety. It had a very gritty feeling that I didn't like, so I decided to see what it was like to take it out.
Out comes the Kuhnhausen books and the next thing you know, my just acquired Colt is in pieces.
The only tools I needed were an assortment of jeweler's screwdrivers and a steel 1/8" drift punch (searched for a brass one at Lowe's but no luck). Getting that hammer back in was a thorough pain because I didn't have four hands, but I was able to use my largest screwdriver as a lead pin and slip the hammer pin through the hole. The MSH pin was a dealt with similiarly.
Unfortunately, this gun needs the services of a competent smith before I can rely on it as a duty weapon. To that end, I have contacted Steve at MD Labs. I haven't heard much about these folks or their skill in the art, but I liked their attitude on the net and thought I'd at least talk to them. Steve seemed like a knowledgeable chap. If you guys have any info on their outfit, I'd love to hear it.
Anyhow, that's my adventure. Might not be much...no damsels or dragons to be seen...but it was a good way to spend the evening.
When reason fails...