1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was digging around in my safe and picked up my Springfield Mil-Spec and placed my Colt 1945 issued Service grade nearby and was impressed by how similar both were. Of course there are significant differences. One being the GENUINE pistol and the other just a copy and not trying to be accurate at it. The Made in Brazil being one and the grips and thumb safety the other. Overall though it's really neat and I can shoot the snot out of the Springfield. I did notice that Springfield no longer sells this model.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,429 Posts
Small matter, but that Springfield G.I. is a lot closer to '11A1 than the Mil-Spec; for shooting, the sights on the latter make a huge difference.

· Registered
3,787 Posts
So I was digging around in my safe and picked up my Springfield Mil-Spec and placed my Colt 1945 issued Service grade nearby and was impressed by how similar both were. Of course there are significant differences. One being the GENUINE pistol and the other just a copy and not trying to be accurate at it. The Made in Brazil being one and the grips and thumb safety the other. Overall though it's really neat and I can shoot the snot out of the Springfield. I did notice that Springfield no longer sells this model.

Yours is a little later model than mine. The first ones had really crappy plastic grips that stretched. I bought 4 of them when the gettin' was good. They aren't terribly accurate, but they shoot.

And I had one of the "Mil-Specs" that RickB referred to, and it was accurate...just not very true to the original, like he said. I wish I'd kept it though...they're good pistols. I should have saved it to have a good smith customize it for me. They're ideal base pistols.

· Registered
14,308 Posts
Could be they were feeling the pressure from Tisas which is producing quality USGI clones at half the price of the Springfield, Inc. models.
The OP's version of the Springfield 1911 has been gone for around a decade, long before the Tisas guns became available.

I believe that Springfield model was originally called the Mil-Spec, but had a name change to the GI Model, when Springfield introduced a new Mil-Spec Model with taller three dot sights and a lowered and flared ejection port. The GI Model was in the catalog for a few years, but was eventually dropped. The current version of the Mil-spec is still in the Springfield catalog.

· Registered
14,308 Posts
Here is a 2012 thread from dsk that mentions Springfield's discontinuation of the GI Model.

· Registered
3,787 Posts
The OP's version of the Springfield 1911 has been gone for around a decade, long before the Tisas guns became available.

I believe that Springfield model was originally called the Mil-Spec, but had a name change to the GI Model, when Springfield introduced a new Mil-Spec Model with taller three dot sights and a lowered and flared ejection port. The GI Model was in the catalog for a few years, but was eventually dropped. The current version of the Mil-spec is still in the Springfield catalog.

I bought my "Mil-Spec" before the "GIs" came out. I thought I liked the GIs better, but I didn't appreciate what I had before I traded it off.

· Premium Member
1,287 Posts
The first Government Model Springfield that I owned had Keys style grips. The Mil Spec I picked up around 2004 had those US engraved grips, which looked okay at first, but were far from what I’d call Mil Spec. Thought they mis-priced it in the store because it was $349 and that was the going wholesale price on the adds at Shotgun News at that time. Think I’ve got a photo of that first early Springer with the plastic grips that I’ll try to attach when I get home. The early Springer never functioned as well as the 2004 model, but would hang up occasionally with my reloads which may have been entirely my fault. Once I got the Tisas Regent in 2007, I never looked back at the Springfields again, and Tisas kept coming out with newer models which all seemed to run.
Sky Automotive lighting Bumper Wood Art

· Administrator
81,055 Posts
Springfield sold the GI Mil-Specs as fast as they could make or import them. The only rational reason I can see as to why they were discontinued after such a short time, and while still being popular was that the margins on them were too low. They sold for quite a bit less than the regular Mil-Spec with its angled slide serrations and 3-dot sights. Perhaps there was an issue with Imbel that caused their demise, but since SA was still importing forgings from Imbel to build the regular Mil-Spec I don't think that was the reason.

Anyway, it sucks that they're gone but at least Tisas is importing a good substitute.

· Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, good thing Tisas stepped in with a Mil-spec forged model. I just ordered a USGI thumb safety to replace that female modern safety on the Springfield to bring it back up closer to Mil-Spec. While I absolutely love my CMP Service grade Colt, it's not one I would use for daily carry. So I carry the Tisas incase it ever needs to go into Evidence, it won't make me shed any tears.

· Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well yesterday I did send off for a USGI thumb safety to bring this Springfield up to GI specs. I am going to remove the modern impaired main spring housing and replace it too with a GI spec mainspring housing. It will darn near match the looks of my Service grade Colt. Then once it's done I can carry it for duty and give a flip if it ever goes to the evidence room. Happy days a head indeed!

· Registered
115 Posts
I picked up an od green GI model from a vendor at my work early this year. I talked him into $450 for it. It was practically new, zero wear. Maybe 100 rds if that. I gave it to my son in June since he couldnt get one where he is stationed at. Legally and via ffl transfer. I miss it 😪

View attachment 659607
I inherited one from my dad and its about the same virtually new. Its a very nice pistol.

· Premium Member
6,068 Posts
One being the GENUINE pistol and the other just a copy ...... I always laugh when I hear this stuff . Colt , Singer , Springfield , ETC ETC are all copy's of 1 mans design .
that was bought and paid for by many company's . They are all just 1911's some better then others . Unless u own a Singer , then u own the best .

· Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just replaced the modern impaired thumb safety with a true Mil spec USGI one. Next step will be to lose the modern impaired mainspring housing with a true USGI arched housing. Just having fun.

· Registered
299 Posts
I bought a 4-digit Springfield that was a spitting image for a WWII pistol except for the slanted cocking serrations. I think a WWII Reenactor owned it before me (the shop selling it on gunborker noted that although it was a proper WWII nub thumb safety it didn't work. I swapped the sear for a GI spare and it magically functioned properly).

My kid has it now. That pistol runs like the Energizer Bunny with anything you feed it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts