1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just acquired an interesting 1911 project gun. Virtually no markings on the outside of the frame or slide...

The top of the receiver is marked as above with numbers "R", "U" and "G" stamped near the disconnector.

For the purposes of registration into the Canadian system there is a serial number engraved under the grips on the right side. A dealer brought a number of these into the country about 15 years ago. Rumoured to have come out of Eastern Europe where they had been sitting since the end of WWII...

Barrel is:

Other than butt ugly this oldie is all there and just needs a going over with steel wool & oil. It is quite shootable just as is.

Going get a parkerized refinish on it and dress it up with some new grips...will be a plinker only.

NAA.

·
Administrator
72,471 Posts
Hi NAA,

The marking on the top of the frame is an H, not an R. It's the mark of Frank L. Hosmer, which means the pistol had to have been properly marked prior to his acceptance. BTW there should be another H on the rear of the slide above the firing pin stop plate. What this means is that somebody later carefully resurfaced the slide and frame to remove the markings.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
DSK - Thanks for the info... turns out this is a real parts gun after all.

No "H" stamped on the slide.... however, under the slide stop is stamped 924,XXX which tell me that it's a 1943 Colt slide?

Price was right anyway - "gratis"! :cool:

No worries, I'm going to have fun turning this into a nice plinker. Will post photos of the finished project when done...:D

NAA.

·
Administrator
72,471 Posts
Yes, it's a 1943 Colt slide. To think two pistols were butchered to make that one pistol. :(

Hopefully you'll be able to rebuild it into something with dignity again. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I succumed to impulsive desires on a couple or three guns like that one...a joy to hold but a bitch to send down the road. I'm glad you got a "good deal." My experience sez enjoy it as it lies, and put your nickels into another jar for the next prize!:cool:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a refinished plinker now....:D

NAA.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Yup, she looks pretty much like an early Commercial model now [except for the grips of course!)...:)

Regards, NAA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts