1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been shooting mausers for years and havent been hearing anything about them on here..... I love shooting my turk, and my yugo their fun , cheap, and accurate.. easy to clean and upgrade cheaply... besides a story from someone destroying his turk no one seems to like to talk about them.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Mick45, Mausers eeyuck! I can`t stand Mausers. That`s why I only have one Israeli K98, two Yugo K98s, one German K98, five Yugo M48s and a 48A, two Spanish 1916s, a Turk M38 and a short Turk, a Czech 98/22, an Argentine 1891 and a VZ-24. I hate the K98s the least. Bob

·
Registered
684 Posts
Texas Bob...a question:

What is the difference between the Yugo M48 and the M48A?
Inquiring minds want to know....!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Mark1174, the M48 has a milled trigger guard and magazine floor plate and the M48A has stamped ones. The M48As usually sell for about $10 less. Bob

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
I have 3 U.S. Mausers .

1903 Springfield
03-A3 Remington
1917 Eddystone

:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice two know im not alone

texas, u seem too really know your mausers,... have alot more than I do... i just have the old turk, and the yugo M48BO,... I love the yugo... but it dont like the old turkish 8MM surplus ammo that i have a ton of ,any suggestion on a good surplus ammo????
Also... anyone else notice a decline in the amount of turkish mausers on the market????

·
Registered
196 Posts
Actually the most beautiful gun I've owned is my Yugo/Bosnian K98, ser #204 (I think it's one of the lowest numbered in the US). Only thing is that I think there's a prob with the firing pin, as the only time I've ever taken her out she wouldn't set off the surplus Yugo 8mm ammo I brought, yet my FN-49 had no problem with 'em. BTW other than being corrosive that ammo seemed fine, all dating from the early 50's, and on nice stripper clips packed in 15 round boxes. I don't know how hard to find it is these days (I've still got a pile of it) but a few years ago it was plentiful and cheap. Recently I've been toying around with getting a M48 and mounting a ZRAK scope and mount, making it into a Bosnian sniper rifle...

check out milsurpshooter.net, lots of good Mauser info there.

·
Registered
724 Posts
kaltesherz, have you taken the bolt apart and cleaned it really well. Dried cosmolene can really get packed up inside the bolt. Might be cushioning the firing pin. Yes Mick, the Turks seem to be drying up. Decent $50 rifles with 10 cent a round ammo will sell themselves. I bought a RCBS die set and 200 rounds of new Federal brass but haven`t loaded any 8MM yet. I had a period of about 3 or 4 years without any payments and snatched up my Mausers while I could. Just bought them as an investment of sorts. The only one I have fired is one of the Spanish 1916s with mild .308 reloads. I just like military rifles. They are all different, interesting, and inexpensive. Bob

·
Registered
196 Posts
Texas Bob- I did clean it up a bit when I first bought it, and after I came back from the range a scrubbed the hell outta the bolt, so now maybe it'll work. It was striking the primer pretty well before, but just barely not enough to set the rounds off. My old man keeps on asking me if we can take her out to the range since he spent alotta time with Mausers in Military School (Chile) before they went to the FAL. Imagine going from a 1912 Steyr Mauser to the select fire FAL...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
m48

I think the cosmolene might by why my yugo dosnt like the turkish ammo, the pin is strikeing but just not hard enough till i run it through a second time... i know their is still some of that gunk in the stock... time to break out with the oven cleaner. The M48BO seems to be a harder to find variant of the yugo mauser havent seen any around in the stores here... found another turk but the stock was cracked and the shop wanted 130.00$ for it, i picked up the one i have for 35.99$ so no thanks on that price.
Place about 2 hrs from me J&G " in shotgun news " has german 8MM for cheap has anyone fired it before? tired of digging through the turkish bandaleers checking for cracked caseings.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Bob,

Those are some fine looking Mauser's with some pretty impressive wood.

Myself like Guy about I am stuck to the US clone that was so close to the Mauser the DOD paid royalities to Mauser even while the war was being fought.......Figure that one out or could Bill Klinton's great grandfather been running the show back then.

Above is my SA 1903 with Straight stock I shipped off to Clayton at West Texas Ord to be re barreled and rebuilt in .308

Now if this craving for Surplus bolt guns keeps up and I find out a K98 can be redone to .308 as well the madness will never end :confused:

Karsten

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1903 springfield

SARCO, INC has the 1903's listed in SGN for about 600.00$ could have ur local gunshop bring one in.... dont know how u feel about buying sight unseen.... im not a big fan.. I do have to say I ordered my P-1 through them, and was plesently surprised at the condition it was in....
Tried out my buddys M44 mosin the other day had some fun with that... hell of a kick in the shoulder.... but thats just part of the fun:D

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Bob,

The CMP has been shipping some pretty nice 1903 lately. Greek re imports or buy backs. Plenty of added cosmolime is included for preserving something like an SKS.

Prices I think started out around $400.00 and I hear there is something like a Garand Collectors Club where you can buy form the CMP.

Karsten

·
Registered
554 Posts
Re: m48

Mick45 said:
I think the cosmolene might by why my yugo dosnt like the turkish ammo, the pin is strikeing but just not hard enough till i run it through a second time... i know their is still some of that gunk in the stock... time to break out with the oven cleaner. The M48BO seems to be a harder to find variant of the yugo mauser havent seen any around in the stores here... found another turk but the stock was cracked and the shop wanted 130.00$ for it, i picked up the one i have for 35.99$ so no thanks on that price.
Place about 2 hrs from me J&G " in shotgun news " has german 8MM for cheap has anyone fired it before? tired of digging through the turkish bandaleers checking for cracked caseings.
Take the bolt completely apart and make sure there is nothing in there that shouldn't be there. But be sure to put the safety in the middle position before dissassembly. And for that one time you forget...

I've found that the top of a door doesn't show the marks as often as using the edge of a desk. :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts