1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my NIB SS Gold Cup Trophy (w/bomar sight) and did not have a signed test target. Contacted the selling dealer and they stated that "the last batch from Colt did not have the test targets" and gave me the option to return if I wasn't happy.

Has anyone else run into this? Though I plan to shoot this gun, I still feel strongly that the test target adds a great deal of long-term value to this pistol. I have a pre-70's NM from my grandfather that has the test target dated 1963 and signed - that's cool - it certainly adds value in my eyes. Your thoughts?

Does anyone understand the process of testing at Colt? Since mine doesn't include a target, does that mean less tuning and adjustment was done?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I cant recall the last time I saw a test target with any new gun from Colt. I really thought they had stopped this practice some time ago. I agree it would be nice to see the test target, at least you would now it really was tested and some of the little kinks that crop up with a new gun could have been taken care of.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Dennisk,
I have bought 2 of the 2001 Gold Cups (1 blue and 1 stainless) and didn't receive a test target with either. They are both excellent shooters so I had fun making my own test targets.
John

------------------

·
Registered
400 Posts
Probably got tossed in the garbage by the dealer along with the orange chamber plug and outer cardboard box and hang tag. It really [email protected]#$%&'s me off when they do that. Most of my Gold Cups have the test tgt. Even my "Cadet's" came with targets.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a stainless Gold Cup about two months ago and it came with a test target. The target was shot at 15 yards, but the ammo used was not specified. The group was just about into one hole, but once again it was only 15 yards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you really, really want a test target, send your pistol back to Colt to have them do something to the pistol. On the pistols I've seen lately, you might want to check your BO-MAR sight to see if it's installed off-center. If it is, that would be a good candidate for a trip back to the factory.

I sent my M1991A1 back to the factory and received it back with a test target telling all the world that my M1991A1 was a Gold Cup... It's actually a Lew Horton Custom that just looks like a new Gold Cup.

By the way, the test target group measures about 1.5" across and about 2.25" high. Not too bad for a current production M1991A1.

Regards

·
Registered
21 Posts
Recently bought a NIB SS Gold Cup Trophy manufactured in May. It came with a test target in the blue case. My first 1911. Great gun!

Horny Toad

------------------
NRA Life Member
GOA Member
SAF Member

1 - 8 of 8 Posts