1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For indoors noise level is especially important.
anyone have an idea as to the noise level of a .357 3inch vs a Makarov?
Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
Makarov rounds are typically quite loud.

Maybe not as bad as your run of the mill.357 mag round, but quite loud. I shot a round out of my Makarov without hearing protection once. I will not do that again. :dope:

·
Administrator
74,696 Posts
I always double up on hearing protection (plugs & muffs) when shooting indoors. Not so much because of my own firearms, but because some dingus always shows up with a 7.62 shorty M1A with a muzzle break while I'm there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you are really concerned about noise level-learn to love the .44 Spl and .45 Colt. Lowest pressure centerfire rounds. A .45 COLT round has about 10 less decibels sound energy than a .357 mag. Does not sound like much-but sound energy Doubles with every 3 dbl. increase.

https://pulsarinstruments.com/en/post/understanding-3db-rule.

Some of you know I negligently fired a .44 Spl in my house. No ear ringing, not even any ear pain. Just a sort of loud noise. OTOH, I once experienced a .44 mag fired close by with one ear protection muff partly off on an indoor range-bad news. Really. (I now always use plugs and muffs.) Incidentally, the best plugs bar none are Skullcaps. Available on Amazon.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
If you have an Smart-phone there are Noise measuring apps. You can measure the noise level.

Our USPSA Open shooters are the loudest by far. But rifle calibers aren't allowed indoors!

I use "Sound Meter"!

Smiles,

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I always double up on hearing protection (plugs & muffs) when shooting indoors. Not so much because of my own firearms, but because some dingus always shows up with a 7.62 shorty M1A with a muzzle break while I'm there.
I got a giggle out of this. I have a .300 WBY Mag that's got a brake installed. It tends to turn heads once you touch a round off. Made the mistake of shooting that thing outside without hearing protection once so I would know what it would be like in the field. I will never do so again. I was certain the ringing of tinnitus was going to be permanent. :biglaugh:

As for the topic at hand, I might suggest doubling up on hearing protection for larger rounds like that.

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
Actually you can go even lower with .455 Eley.

If you are really concerned about noise level-learn to love the .44 Spl and .45 Colt. Lowest pressure centerfire rounds. A .45 COLT round has about 10 less decibels sound energy than a .357 mag. Does not sound like much-but sound energy Doubles with every 3 dbl. increase.

https://pulsarinstruments.com/en/post/understanding-3db-rule.

I am only running a 262 grain slug at 630 FPS out of my Colt new service revolvers. I do not make a habit out of it. But I shoot them without hearing protection once in a while. Not that bad really.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I think a person should wear hearing protection when shooting anything but an air rifle. Most will damage your hearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts