1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse if this question sounds stupid, but there are a couple of terms that I don't understand: "stovepipe jam" and "tap, rack, bang".

I had a jam yesterday that resulted in a cartridge nose stuck in the hood of the barrel and the other end of the cartridge stuck in the magazine. I had a devil of a time getting it out. Was this a stovepipe jam?

About the "tap, rack, bang" I guess that rack means to rack the slide and bang means to fire the round. But what is the "tap"? And for what problem is tap/rack/bang the solution.

Thanks in advance, gang, for the help.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Dear batwing, A stovepipe jam is when the spent shell is stuck vertically in the ejection port. It sticks up like a stove pipe on a roof hence the name.

I believe that "tap, rack, bang" is the procedure when the hammer falls and the cartridge doesn't fire. This event may be caused by a misfire or a magazine which is not inserted fully into a pistol so that a round was not chambered. So you "tap" the bottom of the magazine to make sure it's locked in place, "rack" the slide to load another round (and eject the dud if there is one), "bang" (hopefully) when you squeeze the trigger. Stay safe, Gary

------------------
What I want most from the government is to be left alone. GWT

·
Registered
354 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend getting some good training from a top-notch training outfit like Gun Site, Front Sight, LFI (or any of a host of others...). Not only do you learn a lot of this stuff with someone to make sure that you're doing it right, but you practise doing it correctly again and again so that it becomes natural, smooth, and fast. If you ever are in a situation where you need to use your handgun for defense, you'll be glad for the training and practise. And, it's really a lot of fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts