1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(non 1911 question) can you guys give opinons on these guns please

Ok I have heard alot about the springfield XDs, and lately the thing I hear over and over is how they have such little muzzle flip, also everyone seems to compare this to glocks, now my question is do you guys think the muzzle flip is realy all that great or what? Mainly asking because I want a pistol like an xd, or glock, that I can fire rapidly, and combat accurately because my sig just has to much muzzle flip. One more thing I hate the triggers on glocks do you guys think the triggers on the XDs are better? the one I dry fired seemed to be. Any opinions you guys have on these guns for my situation would be great.

Ok Ok I know 1911's are great for rapid fire, and accuracy, but a 1911 just is not what I'm on the market for right now. Mainly because I have my new kimber on order right now;)

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know the title is messed up. Sorry!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Auzzie, muzzle flip isn't of great concern with 9mm pistols and I do not really notice it with 45acp or 40 S&W pistols. I do notice muzzle flip and it effects your recovery times between shots with a 357 Sig in a subcompact pistol such as a Glock 33. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry should have specified .40 cal. Now I thougth recoil, and muzzle flip was pretty different form gun to gun, do to level of bore axis, and the overall geometry of the gun, am I incorrect in thinking this? And I thought the things I mentioned above effected how quikly you can line up your second, third, fourth, shot ect. am I wrong in thinking this as well?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
To me, the triggers on Glocks and XDs are similar. As for muzzle flip on Sigs, it doesn't seem to be that much more than on other autos, even if the bore axis is a bit higher. I think that controlling muzzle flip is mostly in one's grip. The 1911 is still the best all around, IMHO.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Muzzle flip

If you are looking for a pistol with no muzzle flip, look at a HK P7. I have not shot the XD, but I have a P7 and it has no muzzle flip.

They can be found at reasonable prices used, and I really enjoy shooting mine. Very shootable, very accurate, and very reliable. I have also read that the Styer M series is very shootable (it sits down very low in the shooters hand). They can be found at very good prices from CDNN.

What I know about the XD is that it began life as the Croatian made HS 2000 and was initially less than $300. Springfield liked it and began importing it as the XD, and now the price is significantly higher.

Good luck and enjoy.

Herman

·
Registered
415 Posts
I recently bought an XD-9. The trigger is not that much different than the Glock. However, the XD-9 handles much differently, and I found that I could shoot more accurately with the XD-9 than with the Glock. Though, I can't shoot as accurately with either of them as I can with my full-size Kimber 1911.

The ergonomic features of the XD's are quite similar to the 1911's, which makes it fairly easy to switch between them.

I would encourage you to find a range that has both the XD model and the Glock model you are interested in available to rent. Try them both before you make your decision. That way you can decide which works best for you before putting your money down for the purchase.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Good advice above.

I would add that the problem in shooting fast is not how much muzzle flip the gun has. The problem is how fast YOU can get back on target and release the trigger in a controlled fashion.

Some guns push pretty much straight back (like Glocks) and the recovery problem is different from those that roll in recoil. But in both cases your physical problem is getting the sights back on the target as quickly and consistentlly as possible and pressing the trigger. Either way the gun has moved and needs to return to the right place for the next shot.

I've become convinced from watching good shooters that you can master almost any system, as long as you practice with it enough to get really good with it. I've seen guys who kick my backside with HK's, Berettas, Sigs, etc. They all roll more than my 1911's. But these guys win because they have learned how to control their guns - sights and trigger - consistently. I'm a pretty good shot (IDPA Expert who usually places in the middle of Master). But these guys beat me because they have better mastery of the union between their gun and their body.

Your body will learn how to accomodate the characteristics of the gun you choose with lots of trigger time.

That won't happen with a lot of changes in gun type. Enjoy some variety. But when you want to get serious, settle on one design and get good with it. The 1911 is wonderful and IMO posesses some unique and superior features. But the facts bear out that you can get good with any competent gun with focused practice.

I would add one other thing regarding the XD's. I remember reading a report on the in Am Handgunner and as I recall the accuracy wasn't all that great. Fine for a combat gun but at distance it wasn't all that great IIRC. Depending on your intended use, that may be an issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys. You all gave some good points and opinions I appreciate the help.

Jason

·
Registered
28 Posts
since over 2/3rds of the necessary

Another wonderful offering from the Doofus Formerly Known as Tincan Among Otherthings.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts