1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing? Has anyone seen or know where I can Find a tritium front sight that is not a dot. I'm looking for a tritium ramp insert or a small horizontal bar that I could insert at the top of a red ramp. Ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I can't ever recall seeing anything but a tritium dot. IIRC the tritium is encased in a vial, thus the round shape. But I could be (and probably am) wrong. However someone used to make a luminescent paint that allowed someone to “paint” a front site so it would glow. Again it’s been awhile but I think that you could reapply as necessary. I think if you painted a ramp in conjunction with the existing dot it may provide you with what you need. I don’t know if it is still available, but Gall’s used to carry it.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I asked both Heine & Novak's if it was possible to put a thin tritium bar on the top edge of the front sight and both said it can't be done due to the width of the blade. I have problems with dots because I tend to focus on them instead of the top edge so it seemed like a viable solution. Maybe sometime in the future.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hi guys. I tried to have this done a few years ago on a customers 1911 at his request. He wanted a tritium bar running up the face of the sight vertically. I was using PT at the time, and they said they couldn't do it, since they had to have NRC approval for any new configuration and it wouldn't be worth it.

------------------
Don Williams www.theactionworks.com www.pickagrip.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For all interested, I contacted PT/IWI and they will do it now running vertically up the ramp if you send it in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blinder,
I want the same thing as you, so I am going to have PT install a tritium bar vertically on my front ramp, and then I am going to paint over it all with red glo paint, except for a narrow portion at the top of the sight, thus approximating a horizontal tritium bar on at the top of a red ramp sight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts