1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a very nice Hi-Power that I purchased from the original owner many years ago. The guy was a coworker and I think he said it only had one box of shells shot thru it. I believed him because of the condition. It's marked "Browing Arms Company, St. Louis Mo and Montreal RQ. Underneath that it has "Made in Belgium." It has the lanyard ring hammer. It is my understanding that they switched the serial numbering system about mid 1969. The last "T" series serial number in '69 should have been T261****. The new series of serial numbers starting in "69" would start with a "C." Therefore, the first of those would be 69C****. That series would run through 1975 with the last "C" number in '75 being 75C****. OK, Back to 1969. The last number in '69 was supposed to be T261****. My serial number is T286***. Obviously, Browing made more Hi-Powers in 1969 then they list in their serial number list. I've heard about this in another forum. But, why would they not list these numbers? Does this make the gun rare in any way? This gun looks brand new. I would call it a 99.5 as far as condition goes. I honestly doubt if it has fired 400 rounds. Can anyone shed any light on this serial number situation? Any guess regarding value? It won't be for sale, I'm giving it to my kid when I get too old to shoot. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There are too many of them above T261xxx to be considered rare. The posts other forum propably go into detail on the issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts