1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nickel plated 1913 dated Colt. One of the grip bushings has come loose and came out. It appears unthreaded and the hole in the frame does as well. It has the six points on the inside from where it was staked into the frame.

Were the early 1911 grip bushings non-threaded? Where can I find one?
If they are unattainable, would the only option be to tap the hole? Probably for an oversize bushing?
I don't want to ruin this pistol with bubba-smithing.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,543 Posts
I suspect the internal threads have sheared off and are on the bushing. So an oversize tap and bushing will be a fix.

LOG

Reactions: Jolly Rogers

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
All 1911 grip screw bushings were threaded. On older 1911 pistols they were staked after installation as well to keep them from backing out. Unfortunately the bushings are so soft that they will still sometimes come out of the frame when the screw and bushing are seized together during removal, and the disrupted threads on the end of the staked bushing then royally eff up the threads in the frame as it comes out. The oversized bushing solution is the most cost-effective fix.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I know it's hard to imagine having a problem with 1911 grips. After all, there's not much to 'em. They're just slabs of wood or plastic held to the frame by a couple of screws. Well, there's a bit more to it than that.
Care to share?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts