1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed some primers, and when I asked the kindly man at the gun store for 1000 Winchester large pistol, he mentioned that they were stocking a PMC-brand non-toxic primer that is made in Russia. He said that there were no other non-toxic primers available as reloading components, as the American companies were having touble making them work consistently while maintaining a decent shelf life. Best part was, they were $10.50/1000; $4.00/1000 cheaper than Winchester. I've gone through almost all of them, and if my sample is any indication, I wouldn't take any more for free. I've had six-eight squibs so far, where the powder is improperly ignited, the bullet exits the barrel, but the spent case is left in the ejection port, where trying to clear it causes a double feed. I loaded 200 rounds to take to a state championship IDPA match, and the night before leaving town, I loaded-up 200 with Winchester primers, and left the others at home. I had no problems at the match. I shot up the Russian-primered loads yesterday, and in 190 rounds, had two more squibs. So, no more Russian primers for me.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I had trouble with them also, inconsistent ignition, incomplete powder burn etc. How does your breechface look, FP hole, etc?

No reloading data is available so I suspect certain powders and drops would help. PMC said they would have data, but I doubt that's going to happen.

I paid a lot more than you did. I suspect he was trying to unload them for a cheap price. Someday, I'll try the unleaded primers from Winchester, etc if they ever release them for reloading.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What should I be looking for? Pitting? Erosion?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I had some "indentations" around the FP hole after about 2,000 of the PMC primers...but, that's only when I noticed it. It may have been there well before since the gun has quite a few rounds through it.
Just curious.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts