1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am very interested in picking up a new WW2 Mil-Spec pistol, but have a few questions that I haven't really found answers to yet...

First, I read somewhere that live rounds don't eject all that easily due to the non-lowered ejection port. If this is the case, then how does one go about ejecting a live round from the chamber? Does this ever become a real problem in this pistol? I just want to fire the standard 230 grn fmj round through this gun.

Next, I would definitely like to put some new grips, but have come across several horror stories about bushings that were steaked in, and slightly larger (or were they too far apart from one another?) than industry standard. Just how difficult would it be for me to get some nice wood, or even alumigrips (not very vintage, but I bet it would look very nice) on this pistol? If at all possible I would like to do this without carving up a new set of grips to force them to fit. Would I be better off having a gunsmith do this for me?

Finally, the ILS. In all honesty I would like to eliminate any trace of this ridiculous item from my new pistol. Not only does the idea of this thing bug me, I read in more than a few posts that between the ILS and the titanium firing pin, the trigger pull (or is it the hammer tension?) is altered. One poster even said that there is a decernable effect, causing his muzzle to slightly dip when the hammer slams home. I have never fired a 1911 before, and would probably never notice this, but if there is something causing the pistol to behave in such a manner, if at all possible, I would like to correct it. I have seen several posts on this site where direction is given into removing this system, but in everyone's opinion, is the increased hammer strike even a real issue?

As an aside, I am also trying to convince a very VERY anti-gun wife that it won't be an issue for me to bring a new gun into the house. I went so far as to promise her that I wouldn't have any ammo in the house (sheesh) but there's still a lot of resistence on her part. I know this has nothing to do with my previous questions, I just thought I'd mention that even if this gun turns out to be EVERYTHING I am looking for in a first pistol, I still may not be able to buy it, and send along any first impressions/range reports, or the like. At least not very soon. That x-mas bonus should be here at the end of the week though ;)

I've tried to read up on the Springer mil-spec as much as possible in the last few weeks, but these questions have really been nagging at me. I would greatly appreciate any information that this wonderful 1911 community could provide.

·
Registered
222 Posts
1. bullets eject fine for me, both fired/nonfired...but that wouldn't be a problem at all even if it couldn't eject the unfired round.

2. CDNNinvestments.com for Colt walnut double diamond wood grips which FIT excellent...and at $19.99 it leaves you more ammo money for practice.

3. the ILS is a non issue, but if you must have it off, have your local gunsmith remove/replace it with a regular one.(should you need to kill someone though, this may come back to haunt you)

4. get yourself a new girlfriend. Preferably, one who loves to go shoot with you. They're out there.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the replies. I will certainly be checking out some grips from that site. If those pics are an example of them, then I am very much looking forward. Very nice.

You said even if it didn't eject it wouldn't be a prob... does that mean you would just need to pick the round out of the chamber or tip the gun to remove the round?

A pro gun girl sounds nice, I'll have to clear it with the wife though :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Don't worry about the round coming out. If it doesn't come flying out of the ejection port it will fall out the magwell.

Bob

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I think that the grip bushing/blocky frame problems are resolved on the ones coming out now. At any rate, I only had to remove a sliver inside the grip to install mine. I do not plan on putting them on another pistol.

The ILS is easy to swap out yourself. All you need is the MSH, a mainspring, and the mainspring cap. Do a quick search for directions.

My WWII will eject live rounds fine.

Lastly, invest in a Ruger MKII as well and take your anti gun wife shooting. The .22 will hook her. Let her outshoot you always. Next thing you know she will be ordering guns for you! My post anti gun wife is a C&R freak!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The beauty of the Mil-Spec concept is that you've got a pistol that is as close to the WWI or WWII issued pistol in terms of features that you'll ever get these days (I wonder what will happen in 2011?). Anyway, the ejection port should be fine - it worked well enough for the military.

The suggestion to take your wife shooting with a .22 is a good one. Ideally, if you could find a nicely kept outdoor range, it would be better than an indoor one - indoor ranges can be intimidating and frightening to non-shooters. If it has to be an indoor range, going with family friends who also shoot can help.

The problem with "my wife/girlfirend doesn't want a gun in the house" is a frustrating one for us guys. The wife/girlfriend to some extent believes that the presence of the gun somehow controls its owner and that is where they perceive the danger to be.

-Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heh I just asked the girlfriend out on a first date wearing a shirt that said "Wolf Performance Ammunition" I figured if she said yes, she couldn't gripe about it later.

·
Registered
118 Posts
you might want to leave the ILS on the gun as an argument for safety to your girl friend. It should be an excellent way of reassuring her .
I have a WWII and have found no disadvantage as far as looks (a tiny little hole), trigger feel or accuracy by keeping it. Im all for safety and think this is a good idea. The gun is not a true reproduction so what does it matter.

my gun does no damage to the brass and has no, zip, zero, nada problems with extraction or ejecting 230 grain hardball. A great gun.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My wife was seriously anti-gun also. I went for 15 years without a gun in the house. I bought a Para about 2 years ago. She freaked. I told her to get over it quick.She did. I have purchased 15 more guns in the meantime,including 6 1911's. Not a peep out of her. In fact I have seen her sit down to use the computer and have to move a 1911 off the mouse pad. One of our neighbors said she would be uneasy with a gun in the house and my wife said to her " Don't come crying to me when you get robbed some night and you can't defend yourself." At some point you have to be the man and do what you know is right. Asking a typical women's opinion on guns is like asking a lacrosse player's opinion on the Super Bowl. Irrelevant.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just replaced the ILS with a standard mainspring housing on my Mil-Spec. I used a wolff 18# mainspring. Improved the trigger pull alot. It is much lighter now.
Get rid of the ILS and the wife.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As long as you turn the pistol on it's side(ejection port down)when you rack the slide to clear the chamber ,it will drop right out.Your friend that gave you the ejection info was referring to the fact that it does'nt throw live rounds out like it would an empty casing.The ejection port on the 1911 is small,but if there was a problem with clearing the chamber of a live round ,I think they would have figured out a fix by now.:biglaugh: :biglaugh:
.........Chris

·
Registered
83 Posts
mr50bmg said:
The problem with "my wife/girlfirend doesn't want a gun in the house" is a frustrating one for us guys. The wife/girlfriend to some extent believes that the presence of the gun somehow controls its owner and that is where they perceive the danger to be.

-Dave

No offense....but ***** Whipped.

I would never let a girl come between me and the guns. A antigun women wouldn't ever be more than a **** buddy to me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well put diablo very well put theres nothing I can't stomach more than a ***** whipped man it sickens me my friend. I had a girl who gave me a choice of my beretta 92fs or living with her (she also woulden't have a gun in her apartment) guess whats sitting next to me still?

Yup them girls do try to lay the law down once they think they have you. Mind you she diddn't mind the gun before I was going to move in with her,its simple most girls start to control a guy with say guns and most just fall into line but not this skinny ginny :D I'am to much of a man for that ****.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am amazed and happy this thread has not been closed yet.

Maybe its a Christmas present from the mean old fun police?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Diablo said:
No offense....but ***** Whipped.

I would never let a girl come between me and the guns. A antigun women wouldn't ever be more than a **** buddy to me.

No offense taken, since I don't have a wife or girlfriend ...but I've got lots of guns.

I was just trying to explore what is in their minds. The point about the woman thinking that the presence of a gun controls its owner was made to me by a friend and I think it's a good observation of their mindset.

-Dave

·
Registered
364 Posts
Diablo, ***** Whipped??? HHMMM I haven't used that term since I graduated high school many years ago! Get a life, grow up past 21 and stop polluting this forum. Some day you guys may be mature enough to find a woman that can put up with your bull for more than a few days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome Feedback!

I want to thank everybody (even Diablo...) for their excellent feedback. It looks like all my questions got answered. I have been talking things over with my wife, and she seems to be warming (thawing?) to the idea of responsible gun ownership. Christmas seems to have taken a toll on the wallet, though, so I'm saving for the new pistol. The Springer GI is definitely high on my list, but I've also started looking into some SIG and HK combat pistols. :rock: Trying to find the "perfect" first pistol is proving to be just as exciting, as it is frustrating! :scratch:

One more quick question, what's a decent gun safe that I could purchase to store the new firearm when not in use? I'm not exactly looking for something to store a bunch of ar-15's in, just a few pistols, at most. Not looking to spend TOO much on this one. The ar-15 safe will have to wait...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts