1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one and only M1911 clone (for now) is Norinco , I replace the original mainspring housing with flat main spring housing and replace the shot trigger with long trigger . It run fine with FMJ but will choke on FP bullet and SWC which I suppose is normal for stock .45 . The problem is the emptied has horizontal dent right in the middle of the case some slightly but some deep. I need some input of what cause the dent so i can fix the problem. Local gunsmith take a look and said it is the feed ramp and barrel throat is out of spec causing the case to wobble and hit the top of barrel ramp on its way out . Does this problem occure to other Norinco owner? and how you guy fix the problem? I believe that may be it is not the case but the dent actually cause by the ejection port . I saw an ad about Rock river Arms slide with beveled ejection port goes for $79.95 and it seem like a quick fix , swap slide instead of much more costly gunsmith, or should I replace the original barrel with better quality barrel?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Well, I don't think that it is a barrel problem, if it is an original barrel (chromed inside and out) since at least one of 'smiths used the Norinco barrels in some of the custom psitols when they could not get their own barrels. Shot just as well.

To get more exposure to this I am going to lock it here and move to to Maint. & Trouble Shooting.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
474 Posts
Without seeing the spent casing it is tough to diagnose. The only dents in my cases came from the extractor. An overtensioned extractor can cause the dent to be larger.

------------------

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
How old is the recoil spring in your pistol? I've seen cases dented from hitting the slide as they were ejected, a change of recoil spring corrected that problem.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I suspect that "horizontal dent" is caused by the rollover point in the chamber. I'd say that barrel needs to be ramped and the rollover point bevelled just a bit and polished. You might also want to make sure the magazine is timed right so that the round is lined up with the chamber while the slide is trying to push the round forward. It sounds like it is a late release and the round jams between the slide face and the top of the chamber, thus causing the rollover to dent the case.
If the case was getting dented as it passes the ejector port, it would dent the mouth, not half way down the case.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Get the ejection port lowered and flared and the barrel throated to feed semi wad cutters and you'll never regret it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My kimber dents the case when it ejects them. I was conserned about the dents when I first got it also. I ran several loaded rounds through the gun with out shooting and had no dents. but when I fired it there dents just at the point where they hit the ejection port. I put a piece of maskign tape over the rear of the ejection port to pad the cases, fired a few rounds and they had no more dents. I just used the tape as a test and don't keep it on the gun. I have reloaded the cases several times and the case mouth splits before the dents cause any problems. I most of my cases have several dents in them with no ill effects. So this could be a simlpe problem or something that takes a good smith to fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts