1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking care to clean and lube my Tisas 1911 US Army after each trip to the range. It has performed amazing well and I now have about 400 rounds of 230g FMJ through it. After my last range trip I found this wear along the aft end of the slide on either side of the relief. Is this normal? Maybe from the hammer as the slide cycles? Any need to worry? See photos.
Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Track
Hood Bumper Automotive tire Wood Rim
Office equipment Hood Bumper Automotive tire Gas

Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
You mean on either side of the relief for the disconnector? Kinda looks like the hammer is scrubbing that area ever so slightly. I don't think I'd lose any sleep over it though as long as it isn't causing any cycling problems. Try leaving the barrel and recoil spring out and cycle the slide slowly by hand, see if you can feel any significant binding. If not, shoot & enjoy. If there's binding, then consider gently filing or sanding the high spot (if it's the hammer I'd suggest working that rather than the slide).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You mean on either side of the relief for the disconnector? Kinda looks like the hammer is scrubbing that area ever so slightly. I don't think I'd lose any sleep over it though as long as it isn't causing any cycling problems. Try leaving the barrel and recoil spring out and cycle the slide slowly by hand, see if you can feel any significant binding. If not, shoot & enjoy. If there's binding, then consider gently filing or sanding the high spot (if it's the hammer I'd suggest working that rather than the slide).
Thanks, I’m going to keep an eye on it. Also sent pics to Tisas USA. Hope they reply.
Gerry

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It’s your hammer. The top of the hammer is rounded and the wear will continue as you shoot it more. Replace the hammer.

My tisas did exactly the same thing. I replaced the hammer with a wide spur hammer from Auto Ordnance for something like $50 and it was a drop in, but your thumb safety might have to be replaced or refit.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Carefully file the area of the hammer that has witness marks from the slide contact until the scrubbing stops. Just enough to stop it from scrubbing. Like I did here:

Tool Handgun holster Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior

I replaced the grip safety, and the new safety didn't have quite as deep a dish for the hammer's spur and it made the slide hang. Instead of getting a new hammer, some judicious filing made enough clearance for the slide to work smoothly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Carefully file the area of the hammer that has witness marks from the slide contact until the scrubbing stops. Just enough to stop it from scrubbing. Like I did here:

Thanks for the tips
Gerry
View attachment 642999

I replaced the grip safety, and the new safety didn't have quite as deep a dish for the hammer's spur and it made the slide hang. Instead of getting a new hammer, some judicious filing made enough clearance for the slide to work smoothly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts