1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
As a bow hunter, I'm wondering if he used a compound, longbow or recurve.
Im pretty clueless about these different bows, so with that as a qualifier, on RT's reporting, it seemed from RT's photos that the arrows used were pretty solid steel/metal. Not anything of a "light duty" nature, and obviously quite lethal.

I could be wrong, but that was my impression. If I'm right, the perp was probably using a high-end bow.

Reactions: 45ofcourse

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Those armor-piercing, full meNtal jacketed arrows have gotta go.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Hi-cap quivers will be the death of us all

·
Premium Member
6,303 Posts
Im pretty clueless about these different bows, so with that as a qualifier, on RT's reporting, it seemed from RT's photos that the arrows used were pretty solid steel/metal. Not anything of a "light duty" nature, and obviously quite lethal.

I could be wrong, but that was my impression. If I'm right, the perp was probably using a high-end bow.
Aluminum used to be pretty common for arrow shafts for conventional and compound bows (I learned using wood!?!). These days a serious arrow might be Al but I use and usually see carbon-fiber. The high-end ones I've seen up close were Al-clad C-fiber: very thick.

Not a crossbower; but I've seen quarrels I took to be Al ... unaware of steel for this application. For very short range, it might make sense though.

·
Premium Member
6,303 Posts
Reuters: We can't find page may have been moved.
I am in a way surprise they don't already, So people are better with bow and arrow than I'm with pistol.
Think I would rather be shoot with a bullet than an arrow!
Well, I'm D.E. with handgun but more accurate yet with my compound bows. At 20yds, I score about the same as with a pistol at 15yds. With my mistol, sight radius is ~6"; with my bows sight radius is 29 5/8" (IIRC). My best shooting pistols have crisp light triggers; with my compound bows it's the same crisp light trigger for aboth bows.

Concur on wounding ... ballistic co-efficient of an arrow is off the charts. The shaft is ~8x as massive as a .45ACP bullet. Slower; but a razor tip. The arrow doesn't need to expand: it's a 200cal wound track all the way.

Reactions: pawpawlong

·
Registered
359 Posts
The solution?

Bow licensing, along with common sense bow and arrow carry laws including proficiency testing,
And registration and a 5-day waiting period and universal background checks. We have to close the archery show loophole. It's for the children, don'tcha know.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Reactions: ruffdup

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
the national sport in Bhutan is archery. i met a retired sergeant while there and the military trains with bows, and of course firearms. the bows are short, recurve and very strong. they are between china and india and don't trust either. they are south of tibet, so have a fair idea of how china operates. very mountainous. very beautiful. flying in to the capitol between the mountains in clear weather is ok, but in clouds its like some of the more remote parts of alaska. you want to have a good pilot.

·
Registered
25,598 Posts
Too bad one of those people did not happen to have one of those Kongsberg pistols on them when they got attacked. But I guess that it was a gun free zone. At least Mohammed was obeying the rule.

·
Premium Member
10,451 Posts
Hi-cap quivers will be the death of us all
Dammit....I read through the entire thread with that thought and you beat me to it.
Hi-Cap quivers is the obvious answer, along with a FOID card to purchase strings.
In California, you must have a background check done to make sure you are not prone to lighting fires or causing mud slides. I wonder if there will be a Bow Buyback anytime soon??

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
The native American Indians would call them, "weapons of war".

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just goes to show, if somebody want to hurt people, they will find a way. If a gun isn't available they'll use something else - car, knife, fertilizer bomb, bow and arrow.

Also goes to show that our own governmentnik attempts to ban guns is just "safety theater". The don't give a **** about "safety". What they care about is CONTROL and making sure we don't have the means to defend ourselves when they go full-tyranny.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Just register Broadheads. Serial # so it can be traced to the original owner. Background check to purchase Broadheads. Illegal to transport broadheads attached to arrows, Broadheads muct be transported in a locked container seperate from the locked bow.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts