1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a Norwegian 1911 with a .22LR conversion where the .22LR round actually slides into a .45 cal dummy round. The weapon functions as a normal .45 cal and the .45 casings kick out with the .22LR casing, so you have to located and save them all. So it uses a .45 mag etc., but we are guessing it was made in the 20's or 30's. Anyone have any information on what this may be? We are working on getting pictures and markings.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
22 for Norwegian

I seem to recall some 22 conversions for 45 1911's that used a barrel insert rather than replacing the whole slide and barrel-- of course you had a new recoil spring. Think this was available in the 1950's.

If this is the case, it makes sense that you would use a "dummy" round as a breach insert to make it work--

Just remembering not sure cause I can see plenty of problems with that type
as opposed to the "ACE" type.

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
Okay, the barrel had to be part of the kit, so at least the barrel had to be changed. Only in that way could the dummy .45 rounds be used as the .22 chamber - otherwise, you would have a .22 liner for the .45 barrel, and I don't see how it would be held in place. I think while it may be a workable albeit troublesome design, it may also be extremely dangerous or useless depending on whether you make a mistake and fire a live .45 in the .22 barrel (bad juju) or fire a .22 in the .45 barrel (probably would keyhole at 12"). Also, that .22 barrel would have to be offset so the firing pin would strike the rim of the .22 - how did that happen so the .22 always lined up with the offset barrel if the dummy .45s are feeding from a magazine? I give up, this is giving me a headache.:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK....figured it is, in fact, a Norwegian 1914. Here are some pics. Any info on the .22lr conversion and leads to where to find the dummy rounds would be appreciated.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Norwegian Question

Insayne, I am sorry that I can't help you with your conversion. But I just picked up a norweigian colt just 600 ser from the one you show( see post below) I would like to see a close up of the left grip panel cut out for the slide release. I see your pistol has walnut grips also. I am trying to determine if my grips are original to my pistol before I change them. Thanks for your time. Truman

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am finding that this is a rare conversion done by Kongsberg Vdpenfabrik, a company out of Norway, that took the Colt 1911's and changed them to their specifications to create the M1914 in the .45 cal or 11.25mm. Sound about right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts