1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looky what came home from GunBroker! A 1974 Walther PP Super in 9 Ultra. Looks brand new, amazing! Always wanted one of these but ammo has been an issue. So I did some research. Loaded up some 9x18 Mak cases sized in 9 MM Dies with .355 90-95gr .380 bullets, worked like a champ! Feed, cycle, eject like they were made for it, fit the chamber perfectly. They end up looking like 9 Mak rounds cause the magazines are made for truncated bullets not round nose ones......so you have to seat round nose FMJ's little deeper than normal. Using .380 load data. Dimensions are generous enough that Mak cases fit the breech faces on ALL my .380's. CZ, 82/83's Sig 238, Browning BDA, Walther PPK, Colt 1908 and even my Husqvarna 1907. They won't chamber all the way in the .380's cause the case is tapered and bigger in diameter. Didn't anyone ever try using Mak cases sized in 9 MM Dies? No split or bulged cases like you would get using 380's in the 9 MM Ultra. Can't believe the gun looks brand new, 1974! Started reloading .380's and everything else since 1982ish. You almost can't tell the difference between Mak cases sized and loaded with 90, 95 JHP's and cast 100 gr bullets over the real 9 Ultra ammo! The gun can't tell the difference between Fiocchi 100 gr FMJ's and my reloads using 9 Mak cases sized for .355 bullets!

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Very cool gun. Almost bid on one recently, but as you note, ammo can be an issue. Looks like you solved for that.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Very cool pistol, relatively rare, and designed in response the the 1972 Munich Massacre. If you can find one in 380 ACP, those are cool and very rare.

·
Administrator
74,696 Posts
Interesting pistol, I never knew they existed. Ain't it fun to have something that you know virtually nobody else on your block has?

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
I have never seen that model Walther before.

It took me even longer to see this one, due the tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at the OP's user name :) . I hope that is not seen as mocking. Rather, the intended mirth.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
<snip>
Loaded up some 9x18 Mak cases sized in 9 MM Dies with .355 90-95gr .380 bullets, worked like a champ! Feed, cycle, eject like they were made for it, fit the chamber perfectly. They end up looking like 9 Mak rounds cause the magazines are made for truncated bullets not round nose ones......so you have to seat round nose FMJ's little deeper than normal. Using .380 load data. Dimensions are generous enough that Mak cases fit the breech faces on ALL my .380's. CZ, 82/83's Sig 238, Browning BDA, Walther PPK, Colt 1908 and even my Husqvarna 1907. They won't chamber all the way in the .380's cause the case is tapered and bigger in diameter. Didn't anyone ever try using Mak cases sized in 9 MM Dies?
</snip>
That sounds like a tremendous pain in the ass. But congrats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts