1911Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I say this because that is exactly what I did. You will come across some of the most bizarre contradictions with Hodgedon and Winchester that you have ever seen.
Maybe you can write the "what not to load book" since you already did the research! Supplement your component allowance! :LOL:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow, checked the Lyman 49th and they do list HP-38 at 3.5gr @ 599fps. I guess the velocity should be the giveaway that it wouldn't cycle but man that's crap data. They must have used it in some old revolver or something... and no way the pressure is right either... shows it at 4.4gr of 231 at vastly different velocities but the same pressure on the low end but they show inverse pressure at the top end. Must a fat mistake. I'm just glad you didn't stick one- then kaboom! View attachment 596948
Noted that numbers for Win 231 and HP 38 were posted...same powder. Wonder who checks the checker?

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
Noted that numbers for Win 231 and HP 38 were posted...same powder. Wonder who checks the checker?
Everyone who publishes load data has occasional errors - that's why I always suggest folks check at LEAST three load sources. One could be a misprint, two could contradict each other and who knows which is correct, but three will give the outlier. Always good to be diligent!

Reactions: Slow bullet guy

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I say this is also a good reason to not let your single stage press collect too much dust. I find it very convenient to have a single stage always ready for a small batch of test rounds, or just a small batch of proven rounds. I find it very hard to stop pulling the handle on my Dillon once I start :).

Load data is not gospel. It is simply a report of what they found with their own components under their particular conditions. I would err on the side that their data is accurate, but probably not very practical for your situation and probably most others. I've had to learn this the hard way too. But, such is life. Good luck to you and let us know how everything shakes out.

·
Premium Member
7,688 Posts
Another thing to check. Lyman leans towards cast lead bullets, and load data for them is typically less than jacketed. Was the data you looked at for a cast 185?
That brings up another funny thing. They will list a weight and bullet composition that is designed with the caster in mind. The book should clearly mention that on the cover. Half of those projectiles cannot be bought.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Wow, checked the Lyman 49th and they do list HP-38 at 3.5gr @ 599fps. I guess the velocity should be the giveaway that it wouldn't cycle but man that's crap data. They must have used it in some old revolver or something... and no way the pressure is right either... shows it at 4.4gr of 231 at vastly different velocities but the same pressure on the low end but they show inverse pressure at the top end. Must a fat mistake. I'm just glad you didn't stick one- then kaboom! View attachment 596948
Biggest problem with this data is it was from a Universal receiver. I doubt there was any "cycling" issue it that! The loads will work great in a revolver. :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have a Lyman manual that I have looked at around twice. It does make a pretty good coaster for a coffee cup.
But then, I've never been a big fan of Lyman.

Reactions: Nitro.45

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I have a Lyman manual that I have looked at around twice. It does make a pretty good coaster for a coffee cup.
But then, I've never been a big fan of Lyman.
I refer to mine occasionally, just to validate other data. But I have found a number of full manuals online so I usualy peruse the digital data. I use the cast bullet book more than the 49th. (which I also have in paper)

·
Premium Member
7,688 Posts
😆I still like their spread between 231 & HP38. Everybody else has updated their stuff when Hodgedon acquired Winchester. Lyman needs to do a complete revision. Maybe Hodgedon can do it for them and let them know about the internet.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts