1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A client wanted his Smith to look like a Python (the whole profile, rib, hammer spur, grip frame, etc.), so that's what he got:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a Smolt and a Couger and they are great shooting guns. But the amount of work that went into that S&W is amazing! The finished product is superb.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Stunning, Mr. Vicknair!

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Good heavens, man!!!!! A testament to talent and skill. What an elegant revolver! Excellent work.

Wish I had an average year's worth of gas laying around!! :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
About the same as an average year's worth of gas.
Figuring an average of 15K miles per year at an average consumption of 20 MPG and a cost per gallon of $3 - that would figure to $2250 - a bargain for the level and quality of that conversion, if my calculations are on point.

I posted my comments on your blog, suffice it to say that I'm in love. I have to go now - my keyboard is about to short out from the drool.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Figuring an average of 15K miles per year at an average consumption of 20 MPG and a cost per gallon of $3 - that would figure to $2250 - a bargain for the level and quality of that conversion, if my calculations are on point.

I posted my comments on your blog, suffice it to say that I'm in love. I have to go now - my keyboard is about to short out from the drool.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
Maybe more along the lines of 20k miles in a guzzler that gets 12 or 15MPH with gas at $3. That's my guess. :) :) :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Adios,

Pizza Bob
That WOULD be a bargain but it's still quite a way off.

·
Registered
857 Posts
So, using CA data, about $5300?

Why don't you just tell us? At those numbers I doubt that it will cause a disruptive crush of business - not that what you did is not worth that, I just don't think that the market for that kind of conversion, at those costs is large enough.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, using CA data, about $5300?

Why don't you just tell us? At those numbers I doubt that it will cause a disruptive crush of business - not that what you did is not worth that, I just don't think that the market for that kind of conversion, at those costs is large enough.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
I posted this here because I thought that there might be those interested in seeing it, no other reason or motive. Sadly, there is always someone who always has to know "how much". There is a saying about having to ask how much.

1- Discussing prices distracts from the work itself.
2- I'm not looking for business.
3- Upon what do you base your estimate of the size of the custom gun market?

Since you seem to have a need to know, this particular job consumed 60 hours for a total 5200 dollars.

·
Registered
21,917 Posts
Very handsome, but dayum, what a lot of work to get there.

As to the historical basis, I didn't get into PPC until the mid-1970s, so I don't know what went before, but the four of us who shot together were THE ONLY Colt shooters at the state championships, which is as high as I ever got. We bought Pythons for the underlugged barrel which let us shoot in open events on a reasonably competitive basis with the Douglas barreled Smiths and then move on to Distinguished with the same gun. A Python with Elliason rear sight has JUST enough range of elevation adjustment for a head hold at 50 yards.

Oh, OUR Pythons don't "stack." I ran mine through the Colt Custom Shop for the Tedford action job and the "mechanically inclined" team member (actually a skilled hand tool gunsmith) copied the setup in the other three. They do require Federal primers, though.
Action tuning has advanced, though. A well set up Smith is better in double action than any of the five Pythons I know. I keep telling myself I ought to cash in and move on.

I've been reading about "tapered bores" for years, plus Colt advertising of ball burnishing. Hard to see how you could have both, but you say that they quit tapering sometime or another.
The old Police Marksman's Association that administered PPC before NRA got into the act once did a Ransom Rest test with a good grade of wadcutter. Contrary to legend, the S&W was the more accurate. Yeah, yeah, only one gun each brand, one lot of ammo, but the wonder snake did not win.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts